Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutritionwriter

I'm looking for a rootable twig from mission black fig tree

nutritionwriter
13 years ago

The four-foot high black mission fig tree that grew from a fig off the old tree that was cut down by others and isn't blooming. It probably was destroyed when transplanted two weeks ago to a better location with space.

The top of the stalk or stem is turning black. The leaves have fallen off. I tried B-1. Nothing is growing. Area is Sacramento, CA. Yard is about 90 feet by 60 feet.

Can anyone send me a twig from a fruit-bearing fig tree that is perhaps wrapped in wet paper towels and stored in a bag that would grow into a fruit tree when planted? Would it still be viable if sent through the mail packed in some solution to keep it alive? I could plant it in the spot where the present fig tree stands. That tree is just a stem that isn't sprouting leaves and is black on the upper quarter of it. It may have grown from a fig years ago, was recently found, and transplanted from against a fence to a spacious place in the garden.

As an older nondriver, I'm not able to walk into a nursery and buy a 5-foot fig tree that they sell because I can't lift it into the public transit to get it home.

So, if anyone has a twig that would sprout into a tree, could you mail it to me? Thanks, if that is possible. You can email me at nutritionwriter@live.com.

I'm a semi-retired part-time independent journalist writing topics on the health benefits of figs. I'd love to have a little tree, especially like the black mission fig tree that used to be here before it was taken away (by others) to make room for a tool shed, some time ago.

Or could someone tell me how to get someone to send me a twig that would sprout into a tree, from a fertilized fig? Just wondering. Thanks for information.

Annie

nutritionwriter@live.com

Comments (15)

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum i see you just registered yesterday.
    Best time of year for fig scion is during dormant season.
    There are some nurseries that deliver and have Black Mission found doing a search.
    Perhaps at the roots it may re sprout from the soil level with time.
    Someone may have this type as well.
    Best Luck
    Martin

• winterville
    13 years ago

Annie,
    Dont give up on it yet, it is most likely in a state of severe shock. I have some now that I got from a friend about a week ago that were 4 or five foot tall and right now they look pretty bad. But I also have some from about a month ago that did the same thing and now they are leafing out again. Just keep it well watered and try to provide it some cover or shade. If it had good roots i would say the odds are it will comeback one way or another.
    Mike

• nutritionwriter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Will it still sprout if left in full sunshine without a cover over it? It's being watered daily. Should it be watered less? How long should it be watered? Thanks. Is there a website that tells readers how often to water new or young trees?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Not sure where you live. Is this tree in the ground? or in a container. I live where it is HOT night and day, Hot and dry, so I water morning and night. My tree loves water. And it is in a container.
    Suzi

There is another one, I have, not in a container. It seems happy with it's life in the ground. It does get water twice a day.

• winterville
    13 years ago

I am guessing that it is in the ground, just try to keep the soil moist but not wet. Too wet and the roots might rot. I cant say how often or how long to water because that depends on the type of soil and weather. You might want scratch the soil a few inces deep in a spot or so, just to see how the moisture is. Figs are survivers if given a few basic needs, mainly water food and the most important is time. If you place some mulch around it will help hold the moisture and keep the roots cooler.

• fredfig
    13 years ago

Annie.. All the guys gave great information. Figs are survivors. Today, I was in Raleigh, at farmers mkt.
    Saw a dozen or more Black Missions in 5 gallon buckets for $10.00. None under three feet !

• nutritionwriter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I live in Sacramento, CA. What I'm looking for is a a twig that I can root, either a brown Turkey fig or a black Mission fig, or a small tree with roots on it that can be sent through the mail in California. I'm sure California doesn't allow fig trees to enter the state of California from outside of California. Since I'm an elderly non-driver, I have no way of taking a bus to a nursery and carrying a heavy tree in the bus, as most nurseries only have big, heavy trees. Any ideas for a solution? So far I didn't see any tiny trees for sale on Craig's list.

Just thought I'd ask as I don't have any neighbors around here with fig trees. In the meantime, my 10-inch fig tree is sprouting, but the 2nd tree, the 4 foot one is still bare. I think the clay soil here has a drainage problem. Under the clay is potting soil. I've tried B-1. I'm hoping to find a small bag of compost. So far the big bags in the hardware store here are too heavy for my shopping cart.

Thanks for all this great information, folks.

Granny Annie

• namzlee
    13 years ago

Granny, put your address in your post. You will probably get some cuttings in the mail.

• nutritionwriter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found the black mission fig tree I wanted, and it's already planted in my garden. Thanks folks.

Annie

• genecolin
    13 years ago

"Ask and you shall receive". I glad you got your tree and hope it does well. Welcome to the forum
    From the bayou,
    "gene"

• penandpike
    13 years ago

I wish someone send me few cuttings from "Black Mission".
    I really can't find it here in my country.
    And now it is Chrismas time.
    :-)

• gorgi
    13 years ago

penandpike,

Welcome to this GW/FF.

Also, check your profile settings;
    I had problems contacting you...

• vito12831
    13 years ago

Hi, Annie,

You received some good advice for trying to save your tree. In case these tips don't work, I would love to send you cuttings from another dark fig or I can send you rooted cuttings in the Spring. I have a mission fig, but it is too small at this time to take a cutting, but I am willing to share other cuttings. If you want these cuttings, just e-mail me your address.

Welcome to the Forum!

Merry Christmas,
    Vito

• penandpike
    12 years ago

gorgi unfortunatly I just can't edit my profile so people can send me emails.Thank you for willing to send some cuttings.
    Maybe next year if you got any.

I recive the folowing error when trying to edit my profile.

api/persons/39209062 PUT 400 Validation errors found type invalid

• jallen02
    10 years ago

I live in Missouri..St. Louis area. I am wondering if I could have a black mission fig tree, make it through the winters here.? Would I have to have more than one for pollination? I really don't know anything about growing them. But, love the fruit from my childhood days growing up in California