Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Is there a fig doctor in the house?? Stella is sick!

dancinglemons
15 years ago

Hello all,

I just purchased this Stella fig for almost NO money. (see pics below) The nursery sold it to me at a steep discount and also gave me 30 days to return it if it dies or really starts dying. I am new to figs and wondered if there is anything I can do to bring Stella back from the brink of death. Right now she sits on my front steps and gets morning sun. I water every noon as the potting medium is very dry each day. The nursery had not fertilized this fig 'recently'. The potting medium appears to be some sort of chipped bark - it is very loose and airy. The card on the tree said Eastern Shore Nursery of Virginia. Please post any suggestions you may have. I will appreciate any and all help offered.

Thanks,

DL

Comments (19)

• chills71
    15 years ago

AS you've got nothing to lose, I would pop the plant out of the pot for a minute and look at the roots (white good, brown ok, black bad, little balls/nodules on the roots also bad). This will also give you an idea about how the potting mix is as well.

Worse comes to worse, get it to limp through the growing season and try rooting some cuttings.

~Chills

• hlyell
    15 years ago

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like there is some rust on the leaves. This usually means too much water. If the plant is stressed for some reason I would think twice about removing it from the pot. As Chills said, if you can get it to survive during the growing season you can repot it in a better medium for next spring. Unless the soil is dry down a couple inches in I would see how it does with less frequent watering. If it got stressed it might just come out of it and have a growth spurt soon.

• paully22
    15 years ago

Theres some good branches for air layering. Theres many posts on air layering & its a very simple option. Probably easier than trying to nurse the plant back to good health. If successful, U should have at least a couple of brand new plants.

• bjs496
    15 years ago

I've brought home plants from the nursery in much worse shape than this. You might want to add a dilute fertilizer to your watering regime and re-pot next year into your normal growing mix.

~james

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

dancinglemons :)

You asked, if there was a fig doctor in the house?

Well in my oponion, ya got 4 specilist's

Cecil

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Opppps,
    I meant opinion !

Damn brain flatus's HEHE

Cecil

• User
    15 years ago

Do what Chills say and check for nematodes,first.
    If clean then you got a reason to baby it,and it will respond.

• fignut
    15 years ago

Dancinglemons, If it's the fig in the large black nursery pot, I don't see how it can be so dry that it needs to be watered every day - even if the mix is airy. It could just be too much water as hlyell suggests. Check the drain holes. stick your hand in or lift the pot to gauge how much moisture is in there before watering.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW -- You guys are really great!! I did everything that everyone suggested. First - no nematodes but this baby is so pot bound that I could sell the roots on eBay and retire for life :-))

We pulled Stella out of the pot and found that the roots go round and round and round all the way from top to bottom. Roots are mostly off-white not dark brown and no black roots were seen. AND just as hlyell surmised the bottom of the root ball was nice and moist. The top however is dry each morning - I will cut back on the watering.

Should I leave Stella in her 3 gallon pot until spring 2009 OR should I repot now and cut some of the roots?? I also have the option of putting Stella in the ground but I would like to wait until tree looks a bit better.

• fignut
    15 years ago

Just my opinion - I'd repot now. The tree is in distress, and will probably respond favorably to root pruning and new soil. Just keep it in a sheltered spot for a few days.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fignut,

Thanks! Stella will get a new pot and live in partial shade for few days.

DL

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I'm no expert, but when I get a clearanced distressed plant, I usually soak the entire pot in a bucket of water for about 10 minutes or so....to make sure the entire root ball and soil is saturated. Then I will repot it into a larger container with potting mix... This usually does the trick... Often there are air pockets in the soil and the water flows through the pot.

Robert

• fignut
    15 years ago

rjlinva, I understand what you are saying, but this plant has been watered daily for a while with very little foliage to pull the moisture out of the pot. I don't think adding more water is going to be helpful when too much water is the problem. I had considered suggesting waiting to repot until the plant had dried out a bit, and had a chance to "breathe" and recuperate, but just getting it into a better situation won out.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Haven't been following closely, but I WOULD NOT repot or root-prune at this time. It would probably kill the tree (it's obviously been growing under extreme stress). Potting up would be ok, but deciduous trees should never be root-pruned/repotted (except in extreme emergency) while in leaf.

Repotting/root-pruning now would almost surely cause loss of foliage, and the period between summer solstice and killing frost is critical to storage of reserve energy - the tree needs all its photosynthetic machinery (leaves) until frost.

I would pot up and bury the pot up to the soil line until after killing frost and dormancy. Water by allowing the hose to trickle on the plant & do a complete repot in spring before budswell.

Al

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi folks,

I took all of the wonderful information I was given and used it well. I took Stella out of her cramped condo and cut off 30% of her root ball. I then cut wedges into four sides of the root ball. I put Stella in a pot just slightly larger than her original pot with fresh potting mix in bottom and around sides. I used 3 cups of BioTone Starter Plus mixed into the potting mix. I watered and waited. I figured she would live or die. Well thanks to you good folks Stella is alive and beginning to thrive. She now has new leaf clusters on each of the old leaf cluster points. I will post updated photo soon. Now mind you Stella will not win any robust fig tree contest this year but she is 'in training'.

Now for the final question - Will Stella survive if I put her in the ground in September?? Sorry to keep talking about this fig tree like a person but it has been quite an experience - I'm a total newbie at this.

DL

• paully22
    15 years ago

I will not put Stella in the ground. Let it sit in your new pot to gain the extra mileage in growth. Less disturbing its recovery the better. If U want to put it into ground, the best time is in spring when it is about to break buds.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    15 years ago

paully22,

Thanks. I will wrap Stella up in a thick blanket/quilt when it gets cold here and the leaves drop off. (November probably)
    Do you think an outside screen porch with no heat will be OK for this fig? Do I water the fig during the winter?

Thanks,
    DL

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wanted to update all of the Fig Doctors who saved Stella's life. I will post new pictures of this tree today.

Cheers,
    DL

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A great BIG thank you to all who gave suggestions to help Stella live. Below you will see this fig as it was in July 2008 and below that you will see this fig as it is today.

Cheers,
    DL

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio