Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Turkey Fig leaves brown and falling off

Posted by garden128 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 0:17

I bought a turkey fig like 2 months ago.Its about 3 feet tall..I live in South West Florida and we get a lot of rain usually in the afternoons around this time of year. I recently put mulch around the tree and left space around the trunk of the tree. My sprinkler system also goes on once a week but I have been leaving it off lately because of the rain. I thought maybe cause the sprinkler system was hitting the leaves that it was causing them to burn or something.. is it normal for the leaves to be turning brown and falling off..they are also curling up. I'm not sure if it's too much water, too less water, if it doesn't like the mulch or if it has a disease. The fruit does lacks some taste and seems watered down so maybe it's getting to much water..any help is appreciated.. it is planted in a place where it gets pretty much full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Turkey Fig leaves brown and falling off

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 19:43

How is the drainage where it's sited?

Al

o

well, it;s on a slope so I would think it;s good

o

Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 10:20

If you were to dig a hole 2 feet deep next to the tree, do you think it would ever fill with water when it rained; or, if you did fill it with water, how long would it take it to drain? Have you done anything in terms of fertilizing? If yes, what did you do? any other additives or spraying of either non-selective or broad leaf herbicides so that drift could have been a problem?

Al

o

garden 1128

I might help if you could post a picture of the tree or the leaves.

o

I'll take a picture and post tomorrow..as far as fertilizer I put a bit of dynamite think it's 13,13,13 once I noticed that the leaves were turning brown..It's been about a week since I applied dynamite..

o

Here are the pics..Looks like all the leaves are pretty much falling off..

photo (1)

photo (2)

photo (3)

photo (4)

o

Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 21:22

How far above water level is the soil level where the tree is planted? See my questions above (if you're interested).

Al

o

about 5 feet..fyi my orange and mango trees are doing great and planted in same place just spaced out horizontally

o

so any ideas? The soil does not appear to be overly dry or wet...I have pretty good dirt too as the builder used good soil to build up the property , not ur typical sandy dirt u find in florida..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here