Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First fig!

Posted by fluffyfinch 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 1:06

The very first fig grown at my new home! A "bifara" fig originating from a cutting my grandpa brought from Italy decades ago. Not sure if it is a breba or main crop fig since its size--and two other figs on the tree--are vastly different from the numerous smaller figs which are weeks away from ripening. In any case, the fig was delicious! So happy to finally have more than a condo balcony and can grow figs out in the open! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First fig!

--and the two others still on the tree waiting to be relished with sweet abandon. Will probably pick them tomorrow, or in two days at the latest.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 4:15

Yum!

noss

o

Those are breba, on last season's growth. Enjoy your new yard!!!!!

o

Nice looking figs,do you know what part of Italy your grandpa was from?Ciao,
Giuseppe

o

Congratulations!

o

And since you live in zone 9 your season is so long. In not year round. I was born in Egypt and my father owned 100 acre fig farm. He grew figs year round. The weather in Egypt is mediterranean weather which is very hot and dry in summer and very warm and little rainy in winter. But my father did nor depend on rain he has an irrigation system pulling water from the river Nile. He sold his figs to wholesalers and they in turn sold to retailers. He made a good living. But he never allowed me to learn the fig business and told me you go to school and have a degree. May be he was right he wanted the best for me any way.

o

Just look at the size and shape of that fig. Wow! Big as a pear. Congratulations.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 0:10

FP,

You had a very caring father. He was looing out for your future.

noss

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here