Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlbug2

Fig season is drawing near...

girlbug2
12 years ago

How many figs do you think you will harvest in August? September?

I count about 60 Panache Tigers, over 100 Black Jacks, a dozen Negronnes and two dozen Janice Seedless Kadotas.

I'm thrilled to finally get a crop of Panache Tigers, and 60 in the first season it bears a crop, is beyond my wilder dreams. O what shall I do with all these luscious figs! Too good for jam or giving away to people who don't know how awesome figs can be.

Looking forward to this harvest season!

How are your figs looking this year?

Comments (8)

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Hi girlbug, your harvest sounds too good to be true, especially the Panache. I tried 3 times getting one rooted and they have all failed. I thought I was finally going to get one when a friend gave me one because he was given 3 of them. It turned out to be a Celeste. Just my luck, but I haven't given up hope yet.

My large Celeste gave me a bunch of figs but no where near what I got last year. This year we were in a drought until a few weeks ago. My beautiful unknown yellow fig gave me a great harvest of some of the sweetest and juiciest fig I've ever eaten.

I also have around 30 or so other varieties in 3 gallon pot which gave me one or two figs for the first time. Just enough to taste and want more.

Now the rains have started and of course the fig that are ripening are also souring. Something to live with in South Louisiana.

I hope your season continues well. You ask, what to do with all those great figs. Pig out on them because once they're gone, they're gone.
    "gene"

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gene you may be right about the Panache tigers being too good to be true -- I saw a couple of them had dropped this morning :(. Still, if even half of them make it to harvest, that's a decent first crop!
    I've never used Photobucket before, but I will take pics this week and attempt to post them to this thread to show you proof!

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the pic -- sorry it came out blurry, that's the faulyt of my camera phone. I still don't have the bugs worked out of my real camera...

The tree was planted nearly 2 years ago. I count about 60 Panache tiger figlets, of course you wont' see them all here because the leaves hide quite a bit.

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a closeup of these beauties:

I hope they're ready soon!

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

WOW. That is SO neat looking fig! Good work! WTG!

Here is my fig tree with some fig(s): {{gwi:792628}}From nature

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool. What variety are they?

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

People are saying it is consistent with celeste.
    I am in GA.
    They don't need pollination/cross-pollination

• molossermom
    12 years ago

Fig season is drawing near... - Fig Forum - GardenWeb
    Sunday, August 14, 2011
    9:29 PM
    Fig season is in full swing out here in southern CA. It's the season of itchy skin, sticky hands, and happy mouths. I love my fig trees. They are a lot of work and leaves and milk make my skin itch and burn, yet every time I�ll go near them and spot a super fig ; I simply can't resist moving my ladder and climbing up it through the leaves and stretching to get that one just out of reach fig. But it's sooooo worth it! I�m not positive what kinds I have but I think I have a mission, A brown turkey , a Celeste, and my favorite one I have no clue. I�ll try to post some Pics. So glad I found some fellow figger's to share with!