Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann749

If not a Celeste, what is it?

joann749
11 years ago

Herman2 suggested I post a message here for opinions on the ID of my tree. The general consensus is it's NOT a Celeste which is what the label says.

I'll post a couple of more pictures

Thank you

Comments (11)

• joann749
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fruit

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

lovely Blue Celeste aka Tennessee Mountain fig, do you have an extra cutting your willing to part with I have some rare vegetable seeds I can trade you for a few cuttings

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi JoAnn,

May we also see some photos of whole figs from the side and from the bottom so we can also see the eye of the fig? That would help.

Thanks,

noss

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

a better pic is needed of the whole fig now that I'm looking the figs look a little amber in color maybe TX everbearing

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

First of all,it is not Celeste.
    It is a hybrid of some sort.
    Interior matches LSU Purple,but in no way I will state it is LSU Purple,till I do not see other pics,of the exterior,on the tree,details of leaf etc..

• mountainman0826
    11 years ago

Too big for Celeste and the leaves aren't right (in my opinion). Tennessee Mountain Fig is just TyTy Nursery's name for Celeste. Blue Celeste is another name for Celeste. (Blue Celeste does not differ from Celeste, to my knowledge). I agree that LSU Purple and Texas Everbearing are possibilities, but more visual data is needed.

• noss
    11 years ago

Herman is right--It sure does look like LSU Purple on the inside and the shape, as well, but the fig in the picture at the top looks more brown than the LSU P, so we could use more pictures. The leaves look nothing like my LSU Ps.

How did they taste?

noss

• joann749
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How can I post multiple pictures?

I have a quite a few to choose from - it could be another day or 2, very busy at work.

The interior is amber, the skin is dark purple and splits a bit. The weight is about 30gm. The leaves all look so different on one tree! Appears to have 3 and 5 lobe leaves. Some are cut deeply like the ones in the above picture (5 lobe), others are thick (3 lobe). The eye is tight. Some new figlets were purplish when young and small, then turned green, then dark purple for ripening. The stem is short as is the neck.

Taste - Amazing!! Very sweet, very figgy, the finish and linger leaves a bit of a tang in the mouth. Seeds are small and few. Very moist, I wouldn't go as far as saying juicy. I let one get "dead ripe", it shriveled a bit, no dew from the eye and it did not make a noticeable difference in the taste. Skin is thin in my opinion.

I hope this will help some until I can post some more photos. I really would rather post all in one message and not have multiple messages with one photo.

Thank you!

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi JoAnn,

I want one! :)

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and maybe someone will coach you on how to post multiple photos.

Somebody--Please help JoAnn so we can solve this mystery.

noss

• jenniferarino83
    11 years ago

LSU purple.. Maybe lsu Scott's black

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

LSU Black is out of the question,becaUSE IT HAS DEEP DARK RED INSIDE,NOT AMBER LIKE THE ABOVE FRUITS.