Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
airlayering vs bagging

Posted by foolishpleasure 6-7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 3:05

I have no luck with bagging. I tried that last winter even spent money and bought heat pads and did not work. I had leaves but no roots and the ones got roots are very few and weak roots to survive a tree. I have seven fig trees and I AIRLYERED 6 branches. I followed the instruction on Google and used very small amount of rooting hormone. I used potting soil not moss and covered the plastic bag wit foil paper. It has been 5 weeks and I was itching to see what happened but controlled myself. Today I had big itch to find out and opened the foil paper it is amazing the rooting bags are full with white healthy roots. In two weeks i will pot all of it. What is really amazing is that one branch even developed lots of roots it has one little fig on it. I guess this will never ripen after the branch is separated from the mother tree.I am so exciting about air-layering I will air-layer apricot, peach , nectarine and grapes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: airlayering vs bagging

Congratulations on the air layering. I'd never heard of it until I went to an old Greek guy's house. He was doing it in some odd ways, using real dirt and getting great results.

He told me that he would always wait 3 months before cutting the branch from the mother tree, but do as you feel best of course. I was so amazed that I took pictures and made a furum thread about it. CLICK HERE

Only in the thread did I learn that this is called air layering. The old Greek guy was a fig grower in Greece as a young man, and told me that this is the best way to propigate fig trees. I see your results are very good too. I will try this myself staring in the spring.

o
RE: airlayering vs bagging

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 21:43

Congratulations!

I'm a first timer too but mine are only a week old. I guess I'll peep after five weeks, thanks for posting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here