Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Jack figs are coming in...

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 3:10

Pure, sweet, juicy, plump and melting candy. I keep forgetting to take pictures. I bring the figs in and slice 'em, and the family swarms like locusts. More figs are on the way. It's Summer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Jack figs are coming in...

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:15

My black jacks are about 3 weeks away :(. I envy you!

o

Is the Black Jack fig tree productive?
How large and how old is your tree?

Thanks for your info!

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 14:09

Black Jack gives me from 1 to 4 figs a day through Summer. My tree is in-ground, is 4-5 years old and 7' tall by 6' wide. I won't let it get much bigger than that. It gets full southern exposure in my blast-furnace heat. Here's a front view through the BirdBlock:

o

Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 21:40

Gotta love the size on them too.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 21:35

Interesting. My black jacks get a little darker than yours, pure purple/black, and develop several cracks about a day or two before they're fully ripened.

o

Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:23

Black Jack are ripe as long as they don't run latex when you pull them. And even then they are still good, just not at their peak. This year I'm seeing more open eyes, so I don't let them hold too long. But generally yes, when they darken, shrivel and droop they are always good.

o

Would love some blackjack cuttings I can send LSU purple and gold, genoa, negronne, petite nigra tell me how many?

This post was edited by patriota on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 23:13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here