Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ROOT hormone

Posted by foolishpleasure 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 4:12

I air-layered some 5 trees and separated them from the mother trees and they are in pots doing very well I give just one hour a day of sun until the root get established. I have no luck with cuttings and bagging. With air-layered I used root hormone powder and the roots are grown very healthy and long. My question is if I give the 1-3 years old tree some root hormone does it help the root I am very curious. Does any body know of any research done on that. I have 2 year old Chicago hardy (no fruiting yet) I gave her very little root hormone I want to see what will happen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ROOT hormone

If it already has long and healthy roots, I doubt there is any benefit. It would probably be more beneficial to just pot it up, and keep it watered and fertilized.

o
RE: ROOT hormone

nope rooting hormone will not help established plants. it's just for roots on wounds and nodes. don't waste your hormone go with something like a 5-20-10 fertilizer and use as directed more is not better. this is also a good fert mid season around the first of june as it will boost your fig production as well as establish roots on young plants not old enough to produce figs. if a young fig does have figs pick them off the first year and it will put more power into the plants thus making it a stronger, well rooted plant that's less susceptible to disease. beware of fertilizers with high first number like 20-10-10 or 10-5-5 late in the season as it will give you a flush of growth and a bunch of die back come winter and possibly death. hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here