Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Fig Oiling

foolishpleasure
11 years ago

I know that oiling figs enhances ripening. I never did that. I am planning to oil my figs. From my reading the best time to start is mid-august. I have few questions to the ones who did it and knows:

1- What kind of oil like olive oil or vegetable oil.

2- Can I use a soft small brush. Some said he used cu-tip but to me it id too small and I will be oiling over 100 figs.

3- Should I do it every day or what are the intervals.

4- My understanding is not to oil wet figs only dry ones.

5- If you put oil into a little sprayer, can it work?

I am concerned about the time and the reach . Although I do not allow my trees to go over 6 feet but some fruits are hiding in leaves.

Comments (9)

• dieseler
    11 years ago

As written by G.Eisen
    OILING THE FIGS.

In southern France�in Argenteuil and in Frette�a process is performed
    called 'appreter les Agues " or hastening the figs. In Argenteuil and in Frette it is employed on all the figs which are desired to ripen
    early, the proper time for this process being of the utmost importance.
    If done too early the figs will not ripen at all, but will dry and spoil.
    The proper time is when the fig begins to color and the skin begins to
    feel soft, or about seventeen days before it w^ould regularly mature if left alone. Toward evening, if possible, a single drop of good olive
    oil is placed on the eye of the fig, care being taken not to spread the. The oil is placed on the eye by means of a wheat straw and in such a way as to touch only the center of the eye. The next daj' the fig shows a change and in nine or ten daj's it may be cut, perfectly
    ripe, the operation having hastened the ripening of the fig certainly six to eight days. Such treated figs are also better, sweeter, and
    with smaller seeds than those which have not been oiled.

For me the quality of taste was diminished compared to ripen fruit naturally on same tree.

Martin

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

That report contained untrue statements,like: Such treated figs are also better, sweeter, and
    with smaller seeds than those which have not been oiled.
    What is true in this sentence is that the seeds are smaller b ecause the fig did not grow to the point it will ripe naturally.
    The rest is bogus.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

I always agree with herman2. His record in these matters is really good. But then, why would the French go out of their way to lube up their fig fruit in the first place? That takes time, training and resources. There must be a benefit.

Will try this in the fall and report my findings. Interesting topic. But - when I start doing anything the way they do things in France, folks should start questioning my sanity. (Yes, I'm half French. Half.)

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To enhance the ripening 6 days is not that of a big deal considering the labor involved in oiling over 100 figs hanging over 5 trees. May be I will oil 5 or 6 figs only and see for myself. My feeling is that I am intervening with mother nature. Sometimes we gain some benefits and sometimes Mother nature kicks our butts.
    Did you notice that fresh tomatos bought from the super-market tastes like the card-board compared to the one you grow in your garden because they commercially intervened with mother nature to make the tomatos live longer and look prietier

• dieseler
    11 years ago

Read my last sentence so you dont ruin a good crop otherwise.
    Somethings just should not be rushed. ; )

• noss
    11 years ago

I got the impression that the reason for oiling figs is so you would have ripened figs, whereas if you didn't oil them, they wouldn't ripen at all because of the figs' late development. Is that the reason, or no?

noss

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Vivian :Your Impression is Wrong.
    The reason Why the figs were oiled,was so the said farmer will bring ripe fruits in the Market in Paris,ahead to other farmer that do not use oiling.
    The Farmer that Brings the fruit in the Market first get the best price for Kilogram,because it will be no competition,so the supply and demand law works in his advantage.
    He will sell his figs and get prices like they were truffles,when he is the only one in market with ripe figs!
    Later on Many Farmers bring figs that got ripe naturally,all at once so the price drops way down.
    That was the true reason for oiling.

• noss
    11 years ago

Thanks, Herman--I almost never think in terms of money. With some things, money is not the better choice, IMO, but that's probably why we're not rich. :) I'd rather have naturally tree-ripened figs. Thanks for the interesting information on why people oil figs for the market.

Vivian

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

You Welcome Vivian!.
    Also one very important reason,is that the Farmer that Brings ripe fruits at the Market ahead of others,will sell them quick,and not be in need to be in the market for a few days and slip there on the benches,till it sell the crop.
    It will sell fast in one day and get a better price too.
    That is because of lack of competition,for the reasons outlined above.
    So there is a serious incentive to oil the figs,but not everyone does it any way.

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area