Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This mornings harvest and other ramblings.

Posted by genecolin Zone 9, LA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 6:48

I got up early to beat the birds, although there aren't as many now, .177 seems to be working. I picked a gallon from my Celeste and had a feast on them. They go great after a couple of cups of coffee and before breakfast. Here is a picture of what was left after I had my fun. Actually, I had taken pictures before I ate any but while looking for them to post, the pictures were not on my card.

Celeste

Celeste

I also got a treat from some purple grapes also. These used to be grown by my Dad years ago. I had started myself a vine and planted it down the bayou where it got neglected when we move out. 3 years ago, I came upon a small vine with grape like leaves growing in the grass near where the vine had been growing. Taking a chance that it might be the same one and not a wild grape, I air layered a portion of it. I cut it off the mother in the fall and planted it where Dad had his originally. Now it's bearing beautifully and bountifully, happy to be back home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also have some green ones that are just getting ripe. Another week and I be swimming in grapes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Grapes are good, but figs are GREAT.
"gene"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This mornings harvest and other ramblings.

Fantastic! Gene is that dark grape a Flame grape?

o

Hi Joe, no it's not. Just an unknown purchased by my Dad years ago.
"gene"

o

Gene:
Those look like bunch grapes; according to prevailing gardening wisdom, you can't grow those in Louisiana. Yet you seem to be doing it quite well. I'm amazed. JoeRay

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 1:32

JoeRay,

What's a bunch grape? I've never seen grapes that don't grow in a bunch. Is that a variety of grape, then?

Vivian

o

JoeRay, I guess no one told me that. So much for text book wisdom. I've acutally seen that written before but until you try something and prove it yourself you really don't know. Both are bunch grapes as opposed to muscadines which appear singular and in small groups. I'm not much into grapes. These have a unique flavor that make them a winner in my book. If left on the vine longer they become almost black and sweeter but as soon as they turn the color as pictured, they are good to eat. The skins are bitter on the red and slightly so on the green. The green was bought at Lowes as a Thompson seedless, which it isn't, or perhaps the climate here make the skins tough.
"gene"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here