Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often are you getting decent breba crops in ground zone 7 DC?

Posted by PersianMD2Orchard none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 7:03

Once they are older trees, does the percent of decently successful breba years skyrocket?

Anyone care to venture an estimate of what % of seasons they get good breba crop here when trees are 3-4 years old and/or when they become older than that?

I managed to get only one great breba fig with some protection on a 4 year old even with the super mild winter due to a late frost. But a friend's fig who has an 18 footer was filled with brebas this season.

Northern VA/DC speaking only of in ground here.

I ask because I'm interested if it's even worth trying to go for having at least one good breba variety in ground here or not.

Is it only worth it if you're going to let your tree get 18 feet high?

If kept at 8 feet high, it gave a good breba crop every other year-- that could be worth it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often are you getting decent breba crops in ground zone 7

Every large fig tree I see has a lot of fruit.

My two year old trees were just transplanted in June and have almost nothing this year. But my family's tree in Louisiana was planted around 1972 or so, and is a steady, heavy producer.

Others in these forums show large trees laden with fruit. So hang in there!

o

I'm not sure if you're likely to see them except in these very warm winters, from what I've seen and heard. No matter how many brebas form in the fall, only a very mild winter will allow them to overwinter successfully; I don't see it happening on older trees any more than younger ones but will start keeping better tabs on this. I don't think we've been seeing these kinds of winters with any great frequency in the past; time will tell if they happen more regularly in the future. The winter prior to this one the temperature was in the low single digits, and that is more typical for the overall climate.

I had some breba fruit on several of my young (2-3 years old) trees this year and found it to be less than exceptional compared to the main crop fruit I've been getting, for whatever it's worth. It may be variety dependent to some extent.

o

Thank you so much appreciate the input.

o

I am 25 miles east of DC I never got any breba of my fig trees.

o

Colleague of mine in NoVa has a large fig tree and brought me some giant figs from it 2 weeks ago. Quite tasty.

Would that constitute a breba?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here