Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_upstate_ny

Should I pinch new leaves next to figlet?

terry_upstate_ny
10 years ago

The figlets are appearing on my Hardy Chicago, which is three or four years old. A month ago I already pinched the spot where the figlet is in this picture. That was before the figlet appeared. Now it is growing another branch in the same spot that was pinched. Should I pinch that spot again?
Terry

Comments (13)

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

Yes,do it ,if you want to limit the number of the fruit to what you think it can grow.
    What is unclear to me is that your plant does not look like a Hardy C,to me.
    The eye is green,and the leaves are different.?
    Show us ripe fruits and we might ID it!.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I will post some pictures of the ripe fruit. The figs last year looked like stock photos I have seen of Hardy Chicago, and it was purchased as one.

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

The leaves should be 5 lobes and 2 thumbs,and the fruits have purple eye from the beginning,but your leaves are entire.

• susieqz
    10 years ago

those leaves sure don't look like the leaves on my chicago.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the figlets look like they have a bright red eye, some are a greenish yellow color like the figlet. The leaves get large, see picture. The leaves that came out early this spring were exposed to a frost, maybe that effected their shape.

• tony_c_m
    10 years ago

This is what Hardy Chicago leaves look like. I bought a couple from different sources and they are all the same shape leaves. The tree you got might of been mislabeled but as long as you like the figs is all that really counts.

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

Tony Pix,show a genuine Hardy Chicago.

• susieqz
    10 years ago

yup, that's what mine look like.

susie

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When the figs ripen I will post a picture, hopefully we will identify it! Sigh :)

• jerryang
    9 years ago

Pinching question...Have a brown turkey in ground. It started new shoots from the bottom. They are now about 18" talk and have about 5 leaves on them. If I pinch the tree will only be 18" talk...is this correct or am I missing something?

• susieqz
    9 years ago

pinching is to encourage fruiting. if you prefer growth, don't pinch.unless of course your tree is not bushy enow for you. pinching the leader does encourage bushiness.

i never pinch or prune til i get the higth i want i like taller trees, so i wait til the tree is 3' tall. then i prune to get branching.. after that, i go by what everyone says and pinch after the fifth leaf on a branch to encourage fruit.

• jerryang
    9 years ago

OK...but by the time the tree gets 3 ft tall there will be more than 5 leaves on the branches. Pic attached.

• susieqz
    9 years ago

oh, that three foot thing is just my personal preference.
    since you are training it as a bush, pinch at the five leaf mark whenever you wish.

i have one that size too. i've decided that i don't want fruit this year. i want the plant to focus on growth now , to increase next year's crop. even then i'll allow not too many fruit to mature. i'm trying to get full crops quickly.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH