Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Celeste making figlets....now????

Posted by terrisofla 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 8:22

I planted a Celeste the first week of May this year. It produced two figlets by the end of May. I was glad because I've never tasted a fresh fig, and am catching fig fever just by reading all of your posts. Anyway, one figlet fell off about 10 days ago and now the little tree is producing more figlets. I thought Celeste only had one crop (no brebas). Is it normal for them to make figlets at this time of year?

Terri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Celeste making figlets....now????

I would think that because it a newly planted tree it doesn't have it's seasons correct. In your zone Celeste should have just about all ripened by now. After it goes dormant this winter it will wake up with the right timing for figs next year.
"gene"

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 1:05

Well... My Celestes are still putting on figlets and still ripening others. They will have figs until they dry up in the fall. Does this mean I don't have Celestes? The eyes stay green until just before the figs ripen and the trees start spitting off their figs when it get very hot and dry, so they act like Celestes. They look like Celestes and they taste like Celestes. They've done this since I got them. How about your Celestes, Gene, are there no more figs on them?

Vivian

o

I sorry to say but no. It has been picked clean by me and the birds, but I got more than them this year. For a tree that I tried to kill and dig up it did well this year. Perhaps I scared it into thinking that I meant business, which I did. No use in having a tree that made a dozen figs about the size of a marble.

Now my yellow unknown, that's another story. It continues to put on new fruit until the first frost or light freeze. By the way someone gave me a clue as to what it might be. He said it looked like a White Texas Everbearing and it behaves just like what it's described as, who knows. It makes you wonder how a nursery could mix it up with a LSU Gold.
"gene"

o

Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 17:14

Gene,

I think you were the one I was thinking of when I saw pictures of another yellow fig someone posted. Maybe they are the W TX Es. They look like really nice figs. They have a closed eye, it looked like, anyway.

Now, you KNOW you can't kill a Celeste tree by just trying to kill it and dig it up--You have to drown them. ;)

Vivian

o

So does that mean they are starting too late and I won't get to taste any, or do I still have a chance to maybe taste one since I'm in Fort Lauderdale area?

o

Vivian, I was checking on a small tree in the shade my mulberry tree and passed by my Celeste. I noticed the leaves were drying and showing signs of rust and going dormant. Then when I got to the other side I found some branches that were growing and green with new leaves and new figs. Go figure.
"gene"

o

Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 2:23

Hi Terri, You just may get to eat a fresh fig from your Celeste before it goes dormant, especially if you're in zone 10. Keep watering it and see what happens, unless you are getting regular rain, that is.

Well, there ya go, Gene! I hope you get to have a few more Celestes before dormancy. I'm still watering my trees because it's so hot and dry. Celeste, out back is ripening a few more and they should be ready soon, maybe tomorrow. I still have the bird netting up.

Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here