Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryne_gw

Planting in ground

ryne
13 years ago

hey guys/gals, anyone in Connecticut have any figs in the ground all year? if so, which varieties have withstood the winter, and what methods do you employ to keep them from dieing? thanks

Comments (8)

• ponnie1996
    13 years ago

I have several in the ground and have tried many methods to protect them, the most effective for me has been cutting the roots on one side and laying the tree down on the ground and covering it with a few bags of top soil, flattening out the plastic bag, cover top soil with it and then load a pile of leaves on top. In the spring stand the tree up and then enjoy the growth. Of course you have to keep the tree short and manageable. I also drill holes into the side of a plastic 1-2 gallon container with a fig tree and plant in the garden in the spring. In the fall, dig up container, cut roots and bring into garage

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Rye: We are in the mid east part of Connecticut.

We have one Hardy Chicago planted in the V of our chimney. It got no winter protection. It's been there for about 5-6 years and has never done well. Took us 5 years before we realized although it would survie the winter, only to be killed by late frost.

We have a two year old Violetta planted up against the chimney wall. We bent it to the ground last year and covered it with soil. It is about 6 feet high and has about 30 figs.

We fall planted last year; Marseilles Black VS, Ronde de Bordeaux, Sal's Corleone and Hardy Hartford on the south side of the house. Then cover with about six inches of dirt. They all came through the winter with out any damage.

We placed rat poison next to each mound of dirt. Then covered with bubble insulation. We also planted in the back yard a Brooklyn White and a Marseilles Black VS, and only covering with dirt. They also came through the winter without any damage. But, last winter was mild here. It never got any lower then 0 here. The winter before that it got down to minus 11 degrees fahrenheit

The five plants against the south wall have about 30 figs so far.

I like bending the plants down and then covering with soil. I was able to winterize five plants in about 30 minutes.

We decided to bury the Hardy Chicago last fall for the first time. But ran out of rat poison for it.

The Hardy Chicago was the only one with mice damage.

Hope that helps

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

I have a Hardy Chicago growing in ground in Massachusetts.

I only put it in ground in spring 2009. Protected it last winter with insulation and plastic trash bag liner. Like the previous poster stated, it was a mild winter so results may not be typical, but it made it fine with a little bit of tip dieback. Planted on sunny southwest slope.

Joe

• ct_tom
    13 years ago

Hey Robert 2007,
    what is a "Hardy Hartford", I have never heard of one before.

I have recently started to grow figs trees also. Currently I have 2 from Joe Morele in Boston, and my kids bought a Brown Turkey fig for me on fathers day. The 2 from Joe are small and have not really grown much, the BT is a bush and I have 1-2 figs on it. I have recently re-potted to a larger pot from the original black container. Hopefully next year will be better.

If you get any cuttings this winter I would appreciate it.

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Hardy Hartford, is the name given to the plant by fignut. We liked it and are using that name until it's real name can be found.

We noticed it growing in Hartford, CT. some 30 years ago, without winter protection. WE just recently took cuttings, last year.

It over wintered well and is out producing the others we have on trail.

If you contact me early November I will get cuttings to you.

Bob

• ryne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW!!! thanks for all the input. lots of good thoughts here. i was wondering what hardy hartford was too. if you ever get more cuttings, i'd be glad to pay, trade for them. enjoy the summer folks. nice to see all you fellow nutmeg staters here. i never liked the term, nutmeg state. maybe we should change it to fig lovers state. it has a nice ring to it. thanks again.

• applenew2
    13 years ago

I'm new here. Try to google where to find figs trees in Connecticut, and find this forum. Does anyone know where to find fig trees for sale near hartford county. I will be glad to pay. Just bought house and want to plant a fig tree XD. Thanks againXD

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Depending on what part of Connecticut your in, you can grow about half a dozen of more of figs. Hardy Chicago, Marseilles Black VS, Sal's (EL), Danny's Delight, Sweet George, English Brown Turkey.

Go to Figs 4 Fun and post there. There may still be cuttings available. If you need plants Google Logees in Connecticut. They should have Hardy Chicago and or Danny's Delight

There are parts of Connecticut that have a zone 8, next to the shore, and parts that have winters as cold as a zone 5. So it depends on where in Connecticut you are.

The above should do well in Connecticut. But, be aware our expierence has been that over 50% of figs ordered from some mail order companies are not true to name.

But, I have not heard any complaints about Logees, yet.

But, to avoid being shipped the wrong name fig and not being able to know you have a fig that will not ripen in Connecticut, or is to cold sensitive, you may want to consider reading all the post on Figs 4 Fun and this fig forum.

No figs can be grown in Connecticut if you don't winter protect them the first three to five years. They need time to produce a truck that is winter hardy. Then you will have to plant them is a protected spot. Such as the south side of a building, fence, or a stone wall to keep the cold winds off of them.

Hope that helps

Bob

Bob

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets