Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkfromnj

Big Trees in North Jersey

kkfromnj
12 years ago

hope everyone is having a good fig season.

Has to be one of the biggest fig trees I've seen in North Jersey. Perfect micro-climate, close buildings on 3 sides with a full southern exposure. He/she does nothing in the winter for protection.

Comments (4)

• robert_2007
    12 years ago

K.K. you really out did your self this time. I thought your Mafia fig was a tall fig.

But, this one appears to be a three story fig. I never thought I would see a three story fig going unprotected in New Jersey.

That tree is as big as a apple tree.

Really, really a great find.

Would you happen to know what type of flavor profile the fruit has??

Bob

• dieseler
    12 years ago

KK,
    that is a nice looking fig tree.
    You mention South exposure, then that wall is a northern wall and a excellent area to grow that fig tree. Protecting it from 3 of the worse sides in winter.

Bob not taking away from the beauty of tree but its not a 3 story tree which is 30 feet.

Judging by the siding and the cinder blocks on that wall which are 8 inches each.
    The house is app 20 feet .

None the less its a nice size tree which in a few years will top the size of that house at 2 story's tall.
    Martin

• kkfromnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure is the biggest tree I've seen, another Lyndhurst beauty.

All I know is it's a dark fig, I must pass it 3-4 times a week on the way to Shoprite never see anybody in the yard. I can almost reach over the fence and steal a cutting :)

So far the so called "Mafia" fig hasn't done well for me, he said the brebas were best but I never get any :(

• robert_2007
    12 years ago

Miss calculation on my part Martin. I was looking at all the space under the first set of windows and thought I saw around 10 feet.

Martin, I don't think your catching my mistake takes away from K.K.'s super fine. Plus, it's good that you did. Don't want people thinking there is a three story fig, when there is not.

K.K.'s latest find is the fig size we are hoping to find one day, in a zone five location. Not sure whether or not that's even possible, since even the LaRadek English Brown turkey doesn't appear to get any bigger then about six feet. But, it does live and produce figs, after minus 18 degrees Fahrenheit.

K.K. sorry to hear that the Mafia fig did not turn out to be a good fig. But, hope you keep up the good work on locating special figs