Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchbound

I want to limit the height of my Fig tree

bchbound
12 years ago

Can I prune the top branches of this tree without damaging the fig crop. I would like to keep the tree at about 6 or 7 feet tall. I have many figs growing on this tree.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• bchbound
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I have not used fertilizer but I have used alot of lime. Our local nursery guy told us figs love lots of lime. Should I cut back on the lime use?

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

Pinch tips to stop the tree where it is now.
    The energy will go back into stems downward,and in the roots.
    Do not stop applying limestone,that is a mineral ,not a fertilizer,and it helps in creating solid wood.

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

Then your soil is very fertile. As herman said, you can pinch the tips. It will branch out from that point.
    How often do you add limestone?

• bchbound
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I throw down some slow release pelleted lime about once a month except during the winter. This tree was a gift as a rooted cutting and has survived one winter in the basement and two Long Island winters outdoors so far.

I will post some picks when the figs ripen.

• theman7676
    12 years ago

nice looking tree....would love few cuttings if you ever trim it down
    navid /herman - how often and how much lime we need to give to and average size tree? will quantity change if tree is young?

thank you

• jolj
    12 years ago

I have landscaped for years & learned from a master nurseryman who has been do the work for over 50 years.
    I still do not understand why people plant Large tree so close to the wall or building.
    A shrub or tree should be planted 36"- 5', every large trees should be 12'-24' from the wall or building. from the wall.
    The only time this is not true is when you are using a espalier form.
    Trees to close to the building/house is bad for the foundation & the tree.
    The tree looks healthy, but it is way to close to the house.

• bchbound
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not to close for me. Retiring in 4 years and selling the house and moving to Florida. The next owner might not really care to put the effort into a fig tree and besides that I don't have very much land here and almost none of it gets sun. I like it where it is and it seems to love the southern exposure.

There is no foundation where the tree is. It is against the garage which is on a slab.

• FO876
    12 years ago

Do you know what kind it is or the type of fig it grows, dark or light color???

As suggested, pinch the tips on anything that is at or over your preferred height and you're good to go.

• nkesh099
    12 years ago

Each summer I'll overdress my fig trees with 1-3 lbs on limestone, twice. First I'll remove as much of the old limestone from the top as possible.
    So depending on how big is the pot or the tree the given amount of limestone can be vary.

About planting close to house,

I don't believe the roots of the fig tree can damage the foundation if planted 4-5 feet away from the house. My in ground fig trees are planted 60 feet from my house, only because I didn't want to plant them right in the middle of my lawn nor I wanted to remove my established Weeping Japanese maples.

I have visited couple of fig orchards in past (still do), given good amount of space and nutrients they can grow quite big. I seen them as bushes anywhere from 15-20 feet wide by 15 feet tall.
    My Condria (grown in pot) is 7 feet wide, still growing.

Navid.

• jolj
    12 years ago

Everyone has a right to plant what they want, where they want to.
    But for the new home owners, with small trees of any kind. I just wanted them to know,what could happen.
    You do not plant a small tree, you are planting a tree that will be large in 5 years. So look around at the older house & the size of those tree, before planting.
    As for size, at least one fig is 15 ft tall & 30 ft wide, limbs layer & root in a hedge of fruit trees.
    The owner just picks the fruit & let it keep growing.
    But most fig trees, to my knowledge, do not get that big.

• bchbound
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I was given this tree as a rooted cutting I was told that it was a black fig tree. That info was second hand though through a woman who got it from her uncle and she deos not know anything about figs. I don't know the specific variety. It does produce dark fruit.

• hendryviviers
    6 years ago

I am living in SA, and want to trim my Fig tree, any suggestions?

I notice you talk about a nodes, what do you mean by it?

When is the best time to trim it is SA in June/July?

Regards

• hendryviviers
    6 years ago

I am living in SA, and want to trim my Fig tree, any suggestions?

I notice you talk about a nodes, what do you mean by it?

When is the best time to trim it is SA in June/July?

Regards

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA