Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangledfedish

New growth or figlet?

tangledfedish
14 years ago

Is this new growth or a figlet? This tree was my grandmothers and it used to get fruit on it every year. She had given it to my mother about 5 years ago and last year, after no fruit (ever for her), she gave it to me. We all live in zone 6. Last year when I planted it, I trimed it down to 18' and wrapped it over winter. This spring I had gotten new growth on the old wood. About 2 weeks ago I started getting these small red bumps between the leaf and the stem. If this is not a new figlet, can someone show me a photo of what one looks like when it 'first' starts to grow? Like 2 weeks into it. All I can find on the internet are photos after they already look like a fig. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• fignut
    14 years ago

It can be hard to tell. A fig bud is a little more rounded and a growth bud a little more pointed. Also the fig bud tends to be a little off to the side while the growth bud is pretty much in the center of the branch.
    The fig bud is the larger bud to the left in this picture. The growth bud is smaller and centered on the branch to the right of the fig bud.

• tangledfedish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fignut,
    I think mine is rounded on the top. How long would it take before it would get to be that big? How come your fig tree has no leaves?

• fignut
    14 years ago

tangledfedish, There should be two buds if a fig bud is there. The growth bud might be very tiny, but it should be there.
    I used the picture above because it shows the two buds before the fig takes shape. But it confusing because the wood supporting the figs is green, not brown. It looks like new wood, but it is old wood, and the figs are actually brebas. Old wood doesn't produce leaves only new growth does. This picture is the same fig (brebas aren't much bigger), but you can see where the new growth (and leaves) start.

• tangledfedish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so then this looks like just new growth? I didnt know you could get another shoot to grow out of the new wood. I pinched off the top that was pointed.

• albafik
    14 years ago

I am new with figs. One of my figs(no idea what variety) in the pot has sides of the leaf curled up as you can see in the above picture.What could be the reason?

• fignut
    14 years ago

tangledfedish, I apologize, I'm confusing you.
    The pointed top that you took off was a growth point that would have produced more growth of the shoot and leaves. I can't tell positively from the above picture what type of bud is showing, but it looks like it might be a fig bud. If it is a fig bud, there should be another bud touching it (paired with it) - a growth bud that will eventually produce a shoot from the new wood.

• tangledfedish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fignut,
    Its ok. I wasnt sure if you clicked on the link from my first post, to see the photo. So I just pasted the photo on the post this time. I read that you souldnt do that but it seems like a lot of people do... I do not see another bud touching it like what you have posted in your photo. I get a leaf growing out of the new wood and a red bud growing between the new wood and the leaf. (notice under that leaf is another leaf with a red bud also growing between the new wood and the leaf stem.) I never had any figs on this tree and it is 11 yrs. old (at least)! My grandmother had it for 5 years, she then gave it to my mother who also had it for 5 years and last year my mother gave it to me. It has always been planted in the ground not a pot and we all live in the same zone. I'm not sure what kind of fig tree it is. I asked my uncle who gave it to my grandmother and he "thinks" its a Brown Turkey. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is a fig! In the mean time I will keep reading about how to care for them. I do enjoy it and the challenge. Thank you!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County