13 years ago

MBVS

Brunswick

Brown Turkey(HD)

7/4/10 LSU Gold

7/4/10 Picked Today

Raining again and looked ripe

weight 84 grams= 3 ounces

Ripe not as watery as last season and weighed 7 grams more than the largest of last year as per notes. Very sweet,not much of a seed crunch if any at all, a honey mild nut flavor is best I can do, thin skin did not split even with all the rain.

Sal

Comments (12)

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Nice looking fig trees and fruits. I really can't wait for mine to grow bigger and ripe. I'm still in search for fig when I go to the store so I can taste some before hand.

• ayyubaddeen
    13 years ago

I live in Jacksonville FL and I have the same type of BT, how does it taste, I just got it this spring and have not had any ripe figs yet...

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Sal,

What does it mean, Brown Turkey (HD)? What is the (HD)?

My Brown Turkey leaves don't look like yours. They look an awful lot like the TX Everbearing I got from a man here in LA.

Thanks,

Vivian

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Vivian, does yours have the red eye like in the picture? I think (HD) stands for Home Depot maybe.
    "gene"

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vivian, Gene is right ON :( Home Depot) It was a gift from my neighbor a little broken twig in Dec 2009 and it rooted for me. How bout them figs????
    Sal

• noss
    13 years ago

Pfft! I didn't even think of Home Depot!

I have no idea what color eye the BT baby has because the figlets fell off last week! They were very small, though.

My LSU Purple figlets are getting pink eyes and don't look like the shape I've seen in pics for it. Probably is a BT! TX Everbearing is supposed to have pink eyes, as well, so who knows what little trees I have, although I got the BT from Mark Simon (UL). I'm sure he knows what he's doing and I believe the Smith really is the Smith, from him, as well. Same for the Improved Celeste. I believe the Hunt I got with the BT is a Hunt from the shape of the figlets it's insisting upon putting out rather than any stem/leaf growth.

My Celeste figs are splitting and going bad before I can get to them! Blast it! It's dry when it needs to be wet and wet when it needs to be dry and all the plants have rust spots!

I know.....Gripe, gripe, gripe! LOL!

Yep, How about them figs?????

Vivian

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ayyubaddeen I have tasted brown turkey figs in the past and they are good This is my first season with this one and have not tasted YET lol

• ladygabe
    13 years ago

Ok, Im irritated and am hoping it doesn't turn to anger and disappointment. Your last tree pic looks like what is supposed to be my Kadota...do these two look similar at this stage? Same size, color and red eye!
    ~M

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ladygabe alot of figs look similar when green leaf shape is another thing which can be very hard to discern as many have a similar type leaf. When you get your first ripe fruit post Pics with leaf and fruit and I'm sure you will have some answers. In the mean time here is a great site with varieties and pics
    http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html

• lecompte
    13 years ago

Ladygabe, Kadota is a yellow fig when it ripens, and it does not have a red eye. Where did you get yours.
    Jeff

• ladygabe
    13 years ago

Jeff, I got mine on a whim when another poster said that Lowes sold fig plants. I figured, why not?? I ran over and grabbed one and told myself not to have any expectations. I was shocked when it began to fig before my older plants.

I guess I should remind myself that I got it at Lowes for fun, just to have another plant and not for the fact that I believed it was an authentic Kadota!

~M

• ladygabe
    13 years ago

Im adding a link to flicker. You can see pics of what I have there.

Thanks!

~M

Here is a link that might be useful: fig fun