Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
root bound in 24" tub

Posted by fritzgarden US z7 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:58

I know this is the wrong time of year to trim roots.
I'm not concerned with getting a crop this year, but I'd like to do it now if there is little possibility of killing the tree, lest I forget again.
It has a couple of going nowhere figs on it.
But it incredibly root bound.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: root bound in 24" tub

It would probably be alright to chop off an inch or two around the rootball with a shovel, and refill that area with fresh soil and some compost. Water the tree well afterwards of course.
Terry

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:01

And maybe keep it in a shady area for a week or two, until the roots start to regenerate a bit then exposed back to sun light but slowly. You don't want the plant to go into shock and possibly die right after root trimming and re-potting.

o

thanks both. Figs started appearing just after this post.
So now I'm reluctant to trim roots.
I'll wait til root trimming time of year (after 2nd growth?) and hopefully remember to do it this time.
Hard to believe that any fruit appeared considering how root bound they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here