Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig tree, moving and cutting problems

Posted by oslofile oslofile (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 11:22

I'm a novice to fig trees. I have two trees that were transplanted by me three years ago. They are hearty trees. I sold a house and before I could get to them the new owner dug them out with a back hoe. They were laying in the hot sun for 4 or 5 hours and there was no dirt on the roots at all. I put them in my truck threw some dirt on them and poured water on them. I planted them in a sandy clay soil and left them, except for an occasional watering. They survived and I planted one close to a lake and one not so close. The one nearest the lake is doing very nicely. Now, I am moving and I want to know what I must do to move the tree. It is over six feet tall and has numerous trunks. I want to get some cuttings to ensure that this tree survives. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I don't understand some of the lingo. such as the glass bottle. thanks in advance
Oslo in NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig tree, moving and cutting problems

o
RE: Fig tree, moving and cutting problems

Here are some excerpts from a series of emails to another lady back east recently, who is moving a tree next month from New Jersey to Florida.

Make sure it is well watered b/4 you dig it up. Keep the temp in the van down (air conditioning, or whatever - no parking it in the sun during lunch, etc.). When it gets to Florida, plant as soon as possible (somewhere near immediately). I would set up a mist system to keep the humidity up (though that would be more critical in a drier environment, such as So Calif. - though I guess Florida has been pretty dry of, late). I would also put it under a shade cloth for the rest of the year, until dormancy. The issue is moisture. The plant will not be able to take in as much due to loss of root mass, so you must compensate by lowering the amount of water that is lost, so that the lower intake is equal to or greater than the new, lower outgo. If you accomplish this balance, by whatever means, you will be fine.

The S D Zoo moves a 80' tall ficus of some type, a total of 200', and it cost them $250,000.00 for the move. They pruned it heavily, and had misters hanging in tree continuously for about a year and a half. It was a bigger project, and more expensive, and it was successful. But your situation is the same, only smaller.

Here is another idea: why not take some cuttings and root them as a back up plan. If you need info for doing this, let me know.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0601351931848.html

Get the regular vermicualite, from the nursery or Home Depot. It will be fine. Put it in a tub of water and get the material wet (stir it into the water). The finer stuff will sink to the bottom and the coarser particles will float, and get seperated out that way. The coarser particles take longer to absorb enough water to sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here