Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espo8

Mission Fig

espo8
14 years ago

Hi Gang, I purchased a Mission fig about 8 years ago from a local nursery and paid about 40 dollars for it.I grew it for about 5 years and never got a fig on it.It grew nicely but never produced an embryo.Last year I called my uncle who lives in Arizona and asked him to send me a cutting of his mission tree in his backyard. He sent me 4 cuttings; one cutting was successful and this little tree is loaded with large fruit.I can't wait to taste them!!!

Stay Well,

Anthony

Comments (14)

• johnsvmf
    14 years ago

Anthony, I admire your persistence and am excited for you. Please let us know the quality of the fruit when the time comes.

V/r
    Vinnie

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Hi Anthony

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?

Pretty Tree, beautiful pictures, you can be proud of that Baby.

Best regards
    Cecil

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

We Have to assume there are more than one strain of Mission.
    I also have two of them.
    One has green stem like yours,and makes huge figs(double size,as Normal Mission).
    Another one has red stems,and it was ill with fig mosaic,and this Spring just colapsed ,lost the leaves,and so it is recuperating,(or dieing).
    I also have the Malta Mission,from George,wich is doing ok,but not as good as the one from Texas,that has green leaf stems.
    The Malta Mission,also have red leaf stems,and Visible Mosaic marks.
    I call the Texas Mission,Megamission,because of the large size fruits.
    Best Regards
    H2

• espo8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh, Thought I had the real McCoy. Herman was the mission fig similiar to mine tasty? I will post pictures of it ripe.I hope I have a good one.
    Anthony

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

That's a very healthy looking tree you have there.

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

Yes it is very tasty,just,like a Mission should be.
    I know the taste of Mission figs.
    In fact the taste is the same as Malta Mission fig,except is twice in size.
    And what makes it different is that the stem are not red pink,but green,with a little red on them too,but very little compared with other Mission figs I have seen.
    I have no doubt this is a different strain,but it doesn't mean inferior,to other Mission, figs.
    This year ,I had it inground over winter and was dec9imated by frost,so it grew back but is late fruitting,so I am not sure if I am going to have ripe fruits again,out of it,because only now it formed new embryios.
    I had picture of the fruits,on Figs for fun,Mesage Board,on the post titled New Jersey Pixes.
    You can search that and see the picture.
    I have no doubt your exemplar is identical to mine.
    Best Regards
    H2

• espo8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Herman,Did you say you got your mission from Texas? Because I have a Fannick Blue Giant from Texas given to me by Gorgi NJ.Last year I had a real surprise by how excellent these figs were tasting.They were large figs and the small tree was very productive.I just went outside to check the leaf similiarities of this strain of mission and the Blue Giant and it looks real close but you know how leaves could be misleading.I will check both fruits when ripe and post pictures.
    Dan,How are you? Thanks for all the research! You help this forum tremendously.By the way they look healthy because of the chicken poop,it works wonders.You mentioned about fertilizing persimmons while the fruit is on the tree.What if you don't fertilize but the soil is rich in itself; How do you stop all the persimmons from falling?Thanks, Anthony

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

Yes it is from Texas,and it was bought from a Nursery as Mission,By the friend I was Trading Gino's fig with.
    His Name was Justin.
    Happy Gardening
    H2

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Anthony,

I recently learned of the effect of too much fertilizer on persimmons. A guy in my area planted an orchard with 5000 (yes that's thousands) trees and was observing that his pesimmons were falling off and this was going to be quite costly for his business. The LSU experts got involved and determined that too much fertilizer was the cause. They recommend not to fertilize the trees once the trees have set fruit. I have no idea how to stop persimmons from falling from a tree growing in a highly enriched soil area. Maybe this affect will be less as the trees mature.

Dan

• espo8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,Vasile and Dan.With guys like you we can't lose!!!

Stay Well,
    Anthony

• kefalas_embarqmail_com
    13 years ago

I Purchased A Black Mission Fig tree just before the winter season. The tree was about 2ft tall and It had a few small figs on board but they didn't make it. By watering the tree and keeping it out of the winter weather, the tree survived the winter months. There is now new growth on the tree and I am very excited to get this baby into the ground. Planning to plant the tree this week. I hope this is a good time.....Let me know please

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

If you are in zone 7+,the time is right to plant in ground,from now on.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I curious to know what happened to the old tree is she a gay.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Naw. Don't let that short haircut fool you. She's straight.