Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etowah_gw

Pinching termal bud is like giving booster shot!

etowah
15 years ago

I read on the forum about pinching the termal bud,I think it was Herman, but I'm not sure. Who ever it was, thanks.

I did that about 4 weeks ago and my tree is like a different tree. There are 8 new branches 4-5 inches long,

more new figs,and a sucker from the roots 14 inches.

I tried the olive oil on the eye of two figs. That was 5 days ago, one is swelling fast today and turing yellow.

No red eye! It's supposted to be a BT. This fig has been on the tree since late spring.

Glenn

Comments (8)

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

You know, it works pretty darn good on pruning a tree to fit a space and to enhance branching in needed areas. Like you, I pinched my inground Italian-258 and in a matter of weeks, the figs that were present swelled like crazy and new ones popped out, not to mention the new growth that developed. It kept some of my primary branches from growing too high and forced branching at lower levels.
    Thanks to Herman for giving us the confidence to pinch!
    It really works!

• dangsr_grow
    15 years ago

leon-edmond I dont know much about figs except how to eat all I can get. Could you give me a few words of advice about how to pinch what bud and when is best to do it. Thanks.

• ryecooder
    15 years ago

Hi guys I tried pinching and it didn't seem to make any difference to me I have 4 trees growing in one big container I pinched one of them to test it and left the others alone, and the figs all came out at the same time and has the same size figs, so far I have 6 figs per branch :)

• paully22
    15 years ago

Leon, I have been considering for a long while to get an Italian 258 tree but have put it off time & again for lack of certainty whether it is a 'keeper' fig. I would appreciate if U could share your views on this fig. Thanks.

Paully

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

dangsr grow:
    At the end of a growing branch you will find a bud. That's the tip of the branch that opens and produces leaves and growth for the branch. "Pinching" the bud is just another way of breaking that little beak off. Sometimes the bud is closed and at other times it will be open with a little leaf starting to form. It doesn't matter if the bud is closed or producing young leaves, you can remove it at any time. You can either use the tip of your pruners or a sharp pair of scizzor. However, it's just as easy enough to just snap off that little bud with your fingertips or nails, hence the term "pinching".
    Once you remove that bud, the branch will stop growing at that distal end. Instead, the process will force multiple branching at a lower level on that main branch. It will also channel more energy into the fruit production and maturation.
    This is why "pinching" the terminal buds can be beneficial for folks who live in colder, shorter seasons. The process gives them the opportunity to ripen some figs before the end of the season approaches. The recommended method is to pinch the buds of branches once they've grown long enough to produce about 6-8 leaves.

paully22:
    I received my Italian-258 from RW, a collector in California, several years ago. I was living in Scottsdale at the time with limited space. I wanted the best fig he could recommend from his collection. He said that Black Madeira was excellent for flavor but that he acquired another variety from Todd Kennedy which was similar in taste yet with better fruit production.
    Todd acquired this fig from an Italian professor in the 1980's as part of a collection he brought back from Italy.
    The variety is numbered as Italian-258. It is a very flavorful fig and sweet. Purple/blue in color and solid red pulp, it can get medium to large in size depending on the climate. I have never had brebas but the main crop is abundant and excellent. The leaves are coarse and the variety is FMV resistant. The eye is closed with resin. I've moved quite a bit so I've had to start this tree several times over. However, it is one of my finest tasting figs. There is a picture of my Italian-258 on JV's website. I've also attached a link to more information regarding the entire collection that included this fig. I have never been able to identify this unknown to any other fig.
    I hope this helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Numbered Figs

• paully22
    15 years ago

Thanks Leon. It will be added into my collection, hopefully very soon.

Paully

• dangsr_grow
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. on pinching figs, I think now I can help my trees do little better production next year. I have 5 trees and love them all, even the very young one with no fruit this year. Thanks again for the help.

DAN