Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enormous fig tree!

Posted by cami_gardens 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 11:41

Hi there, I've been reading the posts and you all seem like tremendously helpful folks, so I could use some advice.

We bought a house a month ago, and we inherited a huge fig tree. I had no idea they could get so big! This tree is most likely as old as the house (about 15 years) and is covered with baby figs. I've never eaten fresh figs so I'm looking forward to tasting one, however how do I care for this tree? It's so huge that I can't reach even the lowest figs without a step ladder. I would like to prune this back a bit when it's time, but when is that, and how much? Here's a photo:
Fig
This tree is really lovely and shades our patio, so I hate to prune it too much. I don't know, maybe I don't need to prune it at all? Advice please! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enormous fig tree!

Cami,

First thing... congrats on getting a new house! 2nd... Welcome to Gardenweb. I'm not sure where your located but I'm thinking that in zone 8 your tree will loose its leaves and go dormant this winter. That will be the time to prune it, when the life force is in the roots. I would take the top 1/3 of the tree off. this will encourage suckers or root sprouts and make your tree more of a bush. The next season you could thin out some of the sprouts if you choose. If you have more of a bush you won't need the ladder to much. Hope this is helpful.

Good Luck,
Little John

o

Thanks, John! It does lose its leaves in winter (from photos of the house I've seen). I live in Oregon where the winters don't get seriously cold too often. Thanks for your advice, I think we will try pruning late this year and see what happens.

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 1:12

oregonwoodsmoke needs to find out what kind of a tree this is and maybe he could get one, since he's looking for trees that will grow in Oregon.

Vivian

o

With a quick glance at the leaves I'd say its either Desert King or Latarula.

o

Here's a closer look at some baby figs and the leaves (clickable thumbnail). I'd love to know what kind of fig tree this is, and how to tell when the fruit is ripe.
Photobucket

o

Good Guess ,I agree,on Latarulla,aka White Marseilles.
The figs will be Greenesh white with amber interior.
Harvest when pointing down,soft,and juicy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here