Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheller43

My figs disappeared

sheller43
10 years ago

Three days ago I checked my fig tree and there were several figs that looked almost ripe. I took one, but it was just a bit too early, so I decided to wait a few days. I checked this morning and they are all gone. I didn't see any on the ground
Any idea where they went? I'd be shocked if it was a neighbor, could it be an animal? The branches were picked clean of any ripe or near ripe figs but the fall crop seems still attached.

Comments (10)

• nothwehr
    10 years ago

I'm in Maryland too and here, as well as elsewhere, the major culprits include birds, squirrels, chipmunks and possibly raccoons. With birds I would have expected some remnant of the fig to be left and some peck marks in unripe figs that were "tested" for ripeness. Putting a net over the tree/bush may help.

• gorgi
    10 years ago

In the past; my local varmins did not know what figs really are, and left them alone.
    In spite of my timely harvesting and making sure no ripe figs drop on the ground; them varmins are getting smarter!

Namely the (infamous) cat-bird.

Possibly (disgusting) racoons and possums too!

Once any mama-vermint gets a sweet-tooth for (alien) fig fruit;
    she also teaches her young off-springs, and on and on ...

• sheller43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh, but thanks all - I will put a net over the next crop. Any idea when as there are small figs now starting for the fall crop

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

I had 3 Tacoma Violet Breba fruits ripe yesterday,but ,i found all three with large holes inside them,and seen the cat bird working on them.
    It moves from fruit to fruit,damaging all of them,at once.
    Sooo,I installed net,immediately.
    Install net ASA you see fruit changing color.

• Clm128
    10 years ago

what is a cat bird.....

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

a cat bird attacks cats and figs and you!! sounds like an animal probably a deer opossum or raccoon would be my guess. there are 2 ways to approach this except the fact that you win some you loose some or spot the corporate in question then decide on what action to take deer and birds will give up on netting but coons won't and require a more beefy means of protecting your figs like a full cage around the tree or a dog.

• User
    10 years ago

The only birds I've ever seen attacking cats or people are Mockingbirds. They are bullies.

• girlbug2
    10 years ago

LOL I'd also see if there were any possible human culprits in the area.

Seriously, possums love figs and will creep into our yard at night to steal them and tomatoes. Birds just peck away at the ones that are within their reach. My labrador retriever will also steal the ones within his reach on the lowest branches!

• jeanclellandmorin
    8 years ago

I have watched the squirrels eat our tomatoes - mostly before they get ripe. I'm pretty sure they are the culprits that took the green figs overnight. I think they are getting revenge for our cutting more than 2 stories of height off the pecan tree.

Sponsored