Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallyhoot

fig tree

tallyhoot
10 years ago

I need some advice on how to plant fig seed.

Comment (1)

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

don't grow a fig tree from seed. grow it from a cutting of a fig bearing plant or buy a plant from a respected supplier. growing from seed you'll have a 50% chance on producing an inedible male fig called a carpi fig. if you do manage to grow a female there is a 95% chance it wont' be self fruitful and will need a male tree to produce an edible fig. You'll also need a special wasp to pollinate the fig, and it's not native to the US and dies at temps below freezing. believe me growing a fig tree from seed is the last thing you want to do. do you already grow figs and looking to expand your collection or are you new to figs all together? if you are new to figs and looking to grow some in your yard I'd suggest becoming familiar with the different varieties out there. Zone 6b is very cold when you consider most fig trees die back at anything below freezing if not protected from wind. There are some tried and true varieties that are easily obtainable ie hardy chicago, and brown turkey but there are many many others and you found the right place if your looking for the varieties not found in big box stores. That said we trade cuttings 90% of the time and so you'll have to learn how to root figs from cuttings. if you want plants check out ebay, the 2 mentioned can be purchased for around 15$ including shipping. Others can run upwards to 200+ I've bid 450 on 1 plant from a well respected member of both fig forums and ebay treesofjoy, there's also kk, mnedelcu, Diseler,and jillji are all respected ebay members. there are others that just a short list off the top of my head. Recently scammers have been picking up on the high prices of cold hardy and collector fig trees so please feel free to ask about a seller on here and chances are someone has bought something and can give you some feedback on that seller. Here's the problem with ebay feedback, people get the tree and leave feedback then when it bears figs and it's brown turkey and not RDB like you ordered your SOL because you already said "plant looks great A++++" then the higher feedback turns into more revenue for the scammers, and they scam more people so protect yourself. That said if you are looking for brown turkey you can trust all the sellers I just can't promise you won't get a nematode infested plant, which again is why we trade cuttings 90% of the time, the last thing you want is root knot nematodes on your property. I hope I don't scare you away from growing fresh figs on your own property, I just feel a lack of knowledge could lead you to giving up on that dream all together. you'll need to take into consideration placement of your fig tree so it's sheltered from cold winds and yet gets 6+hrs of sun. a fig is classified as a subtropical plant and grows along side palms, olives, and other plants that don't like frost and cold temps can kill your tree. you can grow your tree in a pot but you' get a minimal crop and you'll have to root prune the tree yearly, it's a lot of work but some people love figs that much. for me I look at it like this, fig trees live to be well over 80 years old often over 100 so I don't want to be 70 yrs old fumbeling around a 200lb root ball you feel me? start with the 2 I mentioned and plant them against your house in ground, and shape them into a shrub rather then a standard tree nature will help via winter dieback. good luck and feel free to ask more questions, but first take a few hours to browse old post to get more familiar with this wonderful plant. Also check out youtube there's some great videos on growing figs just type growing figs.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm