Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New fig tree suffering!

Posted by MountainCitrus 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:28

I just received a VdB and a Petite Negra in the mail 3 days ago. I transplanted both into new soil (Al's 5-1-1) and watered. The Petite Negra has started to perk up- leaves aren't drooping anymore. However, the VdB isn't looking any better- leaves are curled and drooping and some are drying up and crackly. I just found two little red bugs (spider mites?) on the VdB this morning and brushed them off. I also misted the leaves.

Both have a little rust on them. I have them in a shaded and protected spot. Any suggestions on the VdB?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New fig tree suffering!

i know little about figs, but for spidermites and other pests i immerse the entire plant in room temp soapy water. i use plain dish soap and i find it effective.

susie

o

Here's a photo if that helps:

o

Red mites are the adult form of chiggers unless I am mistaken.

Remove any leaves that crinkle and the figs, sorry. Do not water much, for whatever reason your tree is unable to take up water from the roots so the pot will stay wet a long time and be at risk of rot.

o

Thanks for the tips Hoosierbanana. If they were chiggers then I think we'll be ok because they don't survive here in Wyoming.

I will remove crinkled leaves and figs. Hopefully the plant will make it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here