Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Texas for fig season

bonsaist
17 years ago

I'll be away from home for 3 weeks in august. I'll be working in Frisco, Tx, north of Dallas. I'll probably be missing the fig season as well as many other fruit seasons.

Are there any farm market, nursery, parks, or garden I could visit and pick fruits?

Thanks

Bass

Comments (5)

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Bass,

You may be getting to the Dallas area in time to enjoy some fresh figs. I'll put a call into my uncle (a fellow fig lover) to see if he knows of any place to go to find them (and other fruits).

~james

p.s. Make sure to eat at least one watermelon while in Texas. I have to say that is one thing that I find is much better in Texas than anywhere else.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks James, I'm looking forward to it. If you're up here in season for any fruits, make sure you stop by too.

I could see why texas watermelons would be better, sharp sun makes them sweeter.

Bass

• Yadda
    17 years ago

Bass,

The farmers market in the Dallas area is really nice. You might want to head down there one weekend if you get any time off. If you get the chance go to San Antonio one weekend and visit Fannick's and get a Blue Giant fig tree from the source also the Alamo and the missions are really cool to visit. Houston is only four hours away and would make a great weekend trip. You could probably get a Banana Fig from Buchannon's to mail home. Don't forget to eat all the TexMex and BBQ you can handle along with a little Lone Star and Shiner beer. One person's humble opinion. Let me know if you plan to come to Houston. Yadda out.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yadda, thanks for the tips. Work have changed my trip plan, instead I'll be in San Antonio for last 2 weeks of july. So i'm looking forward to go to fannick's. I'll have to do a search on where it is.
    Looking forward to it. I wonder if there's any farmer markets in san antonio, where I can get fresh fruits. Not sure what's gonna be in season.

Bass

• Yadda
    17 years ago

There is a farmer's market in San Antonio but I have not been to it. Bexar County where SA is located has a real strong Master Gardener's program. There are a lot nurseries in the area. You should also go out to Devine Texas to the Avacado nursery. They have a lot of avacado's that are a little more cold tolerant, including some that are dwarf and can be grown in pots. Definitely vist the Missions. A trip north to San Marcos to shop would be in order. Definitely eat at La Tiara, I recommend the tortilla soup but everything is good! Any of the pig shacks are good for BBQ. There are several fifties era diners on the northern side of town to eat at for nostalgia. Houston is only two hours away. That means Galveston and the coast is only three hours away (give or take). Consider a day trip to Houston on the weekend. Austin is also close. The night life on the weekends in Austin is great if you are into that sort of thing. Yadda out.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES