Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpalbert

Fig grower newbie

RPAlbert
10 years ago

Hi everyone.... I'm a very experienced vegetable and flower gardener, but a total newbie at fig growing. Actually, I'm not even a newbie since I haven't even grown my first fig tree yet...lol, Therein lies my question for you guys.... what variety of fig would you suggest I get, bearing in mind that my wife is a tremendous cook and would use these figs for the many Italian dishes she makes?

Comment (1)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Hello RPAlbert from CT....

It would be far easier to answer your questions if you list your climate zone under your name, and perhaps your section of CT.

Also, you haven't told us how you will be growing your tree(s). Do you plan on growing in containers, will you plant tree(s) in-ground, shade, full-sun, etc. All these factors need to be considered.

If I was just starting out and looking for a great, first fig tree, you can't really do much better than a variety called "Hardy Chicago" aka "Chicago Hardy" aka 'Bensonhurst Purple". They are all the same fig. This variety has quickly become a taste standard and the flavor of other varieties are judged with this fig in mind. There are other rarer figs that rival this variety in flavor, but those can come later as you gain more experience growing figs, and, more importantly, keeping them alive over the years.

I will guess your climate zone is 6-A/B. That's cold enough to kill off a fig tree that's not protected. This forum has tons of posted information on how to go about growing, and, over-Wintering a fig tree. Many growers from colder climates will store their containerized trees in unheated garages for protection. Of course, you can't do this with a tree planted in the ground. I urge you to read all the over-Wintering information that you can find. Growing a fig tree in the warm Summer is the easy part. Keeping them alive over the Winter is the trick.

Do not be daunted by the learning curve. Fig trees are probably the easiest fruit-bearing trees that you can grow, and it bears figs on the current year's wood. You will have no problems growing figs, and soon you will be looking for more trees to add to your collection.

If I may give some advice: Buy a tree that's near, or at, bearing age. You will pay more initially, but you will cut out at least two, or more years of waiting for a small, rooted twig, to become large enough to bear figs. Larger/older trees also are easier to over-Winter. Small recently rooted cuttings are tender, and need special care.

Hope this helps. Ask questions, and the forum members will help you. You will be an expert in no time at all.

Frank

PS: Start with a "Chicago Hardy"...you can't go wrong with this variety for flavor and hardiness.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County