Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Beetles in Figs

Posted by jtwg (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:51

I live in the Houston area. Several years ago, we purchased and planted a Celeste fig, which is supposed to have a closed eye. Well, there IS a very small eye on the fruit. It's just big enough for what appear to be dried fruit beetles to get into the fruit. They're in every one we pick. How can I get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Beetles in Figs

I've been having problems with dried fruit beetles attacking my figs too. I never saw them before this year, now they are in a lot of the figs. They sour some of the figs. They can squeeze through a small eye. On some of the soft ripe figs they even bore through the skin. What's the best way to get rid of them? Is there an organic option?

Joe

o
RE: Small Beetles in Figs

I am by no means an expert, but just came across this information from Four Winds Growers who know a lot about fruit trees:
"For best quality, allow figs to ripen on the tree, and pick as they ripen. Ripe
fruit left on the tree will be vulnerable to dried fruit beetle predation and
spoilage. On-the-tree spoilage or souring is caused by microorganisms in the
fully ripe fruit. These organisms are usually carried into the open eye of the
fig by insects, particularly the dried fruit beetle. Frequent harvest and the
removal of overripe, spoiled figs can greatly reduce spoilage problems."
Here's their website: https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/fruit-trees-vines-and-berries/figs.html

I hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here