Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryecooder

Figs in Ontario, Canada

ryecooder
14 years ago

Hi guys, I don't know about you guys but the weather here in Ontario Canada has been cool at night into the 50's Will this cause fig maturing because mine are still only the size of a penny and some are smaller

Rye

Comments (89)

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Whats left of my Bronze Paradiso god damn rats are stealing all the figs. So far over 15 Figs They stole

Heres the 11 year old pitbull guard dog watching squirls lol

• theman7676
    12 years ago

hey there,

i wonder if any of you can explain to me how to introduce my fig plant to the outdoors. i just took it out this morning, as it getting a little warmer outdoors these days. the plant was in the living room for the last couple of months and it has lots of nice green leafs, new branches are coming out and it was doing great. it has been only 2-3 hours and i can already see its wilting off, especially some of the new growth....i placed the plant in a warm corner where it only gets sun for about 2 hrs per day..from 9 till 11 or so

i am doing this right?

• MEL7300
    12 years ago

The photos are wonderful; what beautiful trees and fruit. Liked the dog too.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, everyone in this particular forum:

I live in Toronto, Canada.
    I am new to in ground fig growing.
    I would like to get advices from all of you
    regarding how to winterize the fig tree with
    your proven methods.

Thanks!

Fignewbies

• yapt51
    11 years ago

Hello to all fig enthusiasts,
    I am a newbie here and am very much interested in growing fig trees in pots. However, I do not know where I can buy fig cuttings/small trees here in Toronto.

I would like to ask if someone in this forum is kind enough and willing to provide me a free fig cutting that I can use to start with my fig adventure. :-)

Also, can you buy fig trees from Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc.? If so, when is the best time to buy one that is not so expensive?

Thank you very much and hope someone in this forum can help me out.

Regards,

yapt51

• johnparav
    11 years ago

I should be able to help with a couple cuttings .
    Let me know .

John

• theman7676
    11 years ago

i can help as well with some cuttings and probably even 1 or 2 little plants later on this spring

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has the "Dessert King" fig.
    Does the fruit taste good and how big is the fruit?
    Thanks for your information!

• johnparav
    11 years ago

Desert king is probably the best fig to have for our climate because it will ripen its fruit in late June early July during the dry part of our summer. Most other varieties start to ripen late august and on during our wet weather . I have tried a ripe desert king picked from a tree in Toronto and was not expecting much . I was totally surprised by how good it was . It's a medium size fig .
    My desert king has not fruited yet though this will be its third year , so I might get lucky .

John

• johnparav
    11 years ago

Desert king is probably the best fig to have for our climate because it will ripen its fruit in late June early July during the dry part of our summer. Most other varieties start to ripen late august and on during our wet weather . I have tried a ripe desert king picked from a tree in Toronto and was not expecting much . I was totally surprised by how good it was . It's a medium size fig .
    My desert king has not fruited yet though this will be its third year , so I might get lucky .

John

• freki
    11 years ago

From what I've seen, most of the cheaper fig trees available (Canadian Tire, etc) are Hardy Chicago. I put one in last year, we'll see how it wintered (wrapped, not buried). I plan to put a temporary green house around it this spring & in the early fall. Wish me luck!

• rgvnewf
    11 years ago

Hi. I'm new to fig growing and have just started to get a few plants/cuttings. I am looking for Marseilles Black VS because I am reading that it is one that is better for colder zones and ripens earlier than most varieties. If anyone has any cuttings to spare, I would love to get some. I live in Newfoundland, Canada so cold hardy and early ripening are traits that I look for in most of my endevours to push the limits on my growing zone. Thanks.

• tyler_j
    11 years ago

Hi rgvnewf..

Check out Dany's nursery out of Quebec. He has that variety for $12.99 if you want something established. He ships in May or June.

Tyler

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia-Quebec

• SerbKW
    10 years ago

Hello everyone...
    I'm new to this forum but would like to learn more about figs... I'm located in Kitchener, ON and I'm interested in planting some figs...
    Drop me a line and help the brother out...
    Also, if you have a contact from "Radovan" please share it with me.
    Thanks
    boki_071 at hotmail.com

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi,

freki: How is your fig tree after the winter?

rgvnewf: Dany's nursery out of Quebec is trustable. He answers inquiries promptly!

• cro_smokva
    10 years ago

post deleted

This post was edited by cro_smokva on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:52

• cro_smokva
    10 years ago

post deleted

This post was edited by cro_smokva on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:54

• figfamily
    10 years ago

We are growing our first fig plant - we have a number of good sized green figs similar to the photos above, but they are still hard. Is it possible for them to ripen further in this fall weather? I read somewhere the figs are ripe when they are soft and drooping and no longer perpendicular to the brand...ours show no signs of getting there. Any advice welcome!

• figfamily
    10 years ago

We are growing our first fig plant - we have a number of good sized green figs similar to the photos above, but they are still hard. Is it possible for them to ripen further in this fall weather? I read somewhere the figs are ripe when they are soft and drooping and no longer perpendicular to the brand...ours show no signs of getting there. Any advice welcome!

• figfamily
    10 years ago

• DoctorB73
    10 years ago

Anyone interested in trading figs in Canada? Seems like it is more seamless than trading across the border. Too many rules. Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks,

Bob

• fignewbies
    9 years ago

Hi,

Anyone interested in trading figs in Toronto, Ontario?
    I am looking for Latturla fig tree.

• radovan
    9 years ago

fignewbies,
    I have latarulla fig for you

• fignewbies
    9 years ago

Hi, radovan:

Thank you for your offer but there is a problem sending a live plant across the Canadian border.

Just for the record, does your latarulla fig have 2 crops per year
    and is it an early season variety?

Thanks for your info!

• radovan
    9 years ago

fignewbies, i am in ontario and if you are from toronto you are not too far from highway 27 & humber college boulevard?

I could not tell you does my latarulla has 2 crops- I forgot:-)

• asimpson_gw
    9 years ago

Im in the Toronto area and looking for some figs. I have a texas everbearing and an unknown "Maria" fig variety (named Maria because someone named Maria grew it).

• friendofcinco
    9 years ago

Sad sack here. Had many figs but I got sick, I'm on disability now, and they all dried up. Looking for anyone who could help a fig fancier down on his luck with some fig cuttings, I used to be quite good at air layering if that helps at all.

• friendofcinco
    9 years ago

Live in the Toronto area.

• dihon
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, this is fascinated to read all these comments from the fig lovers. I am a newbie and would love to learn how to grow fig plants as fig is my favorite fruit! I am in Toronto, been to Woodhill on Bayview/steeles to checked if they have any fig plants but no luck. Does anyone know where I can buy them? Thanks!!

• ma_delgobbo
    8 years ago

To be honest with you I bought a plant at the NoFrills garden centre at Keele and Wilson last year I also heard there's a place on Albion, not sure if it's Anga's farm or not

lots of websites will ship as well, figs for fun in Vancouver has good plants and will ship them

• ma_delgobbo
    8 years ago

Actually it's called figs for life

Another good place is grimo nut nursery, that's in Niagara though

• dihon
    8 years ago

Thank you very much for your reply. I will look into it. =)

• dinatherealtor
    7 years ago

Hi anyone willing to give me some free cuttings looking to grow different varieties of figs. Currently I have 1 fig tree about 3 feet, I live in Mississauga area and I can pick up. Email dinatherealtor@gmail.com thanks guys

• jhend6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi I started last fall with 1 unknown fig tree from fortinos. I would like to get a couple of other types of fig cuttings or tree. I have some Frontenac grape vines to trade or will purchase.

Thanks John

Hamilton area

• richard khawli
    6 years ago

Wow I never realized there were so many Fig people in the GTA. I live in Markham I got started last year with a Brown turkey and now I have 15 different varieties (all in Pots).

• I am dying to try one in the ground and wrap it in the winter Winterize fig in ground but I don't know which to try Hardy Chicago or Verte?
    • I am looking for 2 more fig cuttings to add to my collection Ronde de Bordeaux (I am told very delicious and very early ripening) and Violet de Bordeaux (delicious and looks really nice).

Richard

• Pino's Figs http://FigNuts.Ca
    6 years ago

Hey just saw this thread on Ontario fig growers. SOme of the posts are pretty old I wonder where most of these people are today.

Richard, I will have RdB and VdB cuttings in fall.

• LoboGothic
    6 years ago

Hi, a big Happy New Year to all. I'm new to the fig forum, have been a regular on the legumes forum for years. Gardening resolution for 2018 is to try growing a fig tree outdoors in my rural Canadian location west of London. All set to order a plant from Richters and having difficulty choosing from the varieties available. My preference seems to be between Celeste, Hardy Chicago, Violet de Bordeaux and Olympian which is listed for zones 6 to 9. They have six varieties available this year. The other two are Kadota (z 6-9) and Vern's Brown Turkey. Most start at zone 7. I have a sheltered location facing southeast and could do a lot of mulching for protection from the cold. Certainly the ultra low temperatures these days are really extreme. Glad I did not plant my tree in 2017!

Would love to hear from people in my area who are growing figs outdoors, especially any of the listed varieties.

• Pino's Figs http://FigNuts.Ca
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Happy new year to you too LoboGothic and to all the Canadian fig growers.

Most of which have grown figs for years but don't frequent the forums.

a new facebook group "Canada Fig Growers" connects Canadians growing figs in ground and anything relevant to growing figs in cool climates.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/654699998250854/

• HU-971147927
    3 years ago

Hello everyon, I am also a fig newbie. I live in Woodbridg, Ontario. I have heard so much about fig lately. Tried stor bought fresh figs, very tasty. But I am told homegrown figs are far better than store bought. I would love to try planting one outdoor in my yard. From what I have read, desert king is hardy to zone4-7. Does anyone in this forum have desert king starter that I could have? This will be my first fruit tree. So I am not confident I will be able to success with from cuttings.

Hoping to hear from you all soon.

Regards,

SSay

• bluemoonlight
    3 years ago

Hello SSay,

Welcome to the forum !

Not to many fig enthusiast are following this forum, that is to bad it was my first fig forum that I joint 10 years ago.

I miss it !

There are more forums Canadian Fig Growers

BC Fig Growers

Fig Addiction

Ourfigs forum

Most help for beginners for you would be Canadian Fig Growers where members deal with similar climate.

Pino has some beautiful tested and proven varieties that he sales for reasonable price, don't buy anything fig cutting or tree on Ebay it's not a trusted place to shop for fig specimens.

Desert King isn't a good variety for a beginner.

Look for Hardy Chicago, Florea, Atreano, Blur Celeste, they will need to be grown at least 3 years in container before planted in ground to survive Ontario winters with pretty good winter protection.

Best of luck all the way SSay !

• Rishtun Khwa
    3 years ago

bluemoonlight advice is correct.

If you are Zone 5, you will have to make elabofate arrangement of insulation for winter survival of the plant outside.

• HU-971147927
    3 years ago

@blue and @rishtun Khera Thank you for your informative responses. How are your figs doing? What varieties do you have. Are yours still in container or in the ground? How have you been winterused your figs? Do you by any chance have Pino’s contact info?

Regards,

SSay

• HU-971147927
    3 years ago

@risht, I am so sorry to hear about your major lose of fig trees. :(. I can just imagine a dozen plants? Or 200+? That must be quite a scene to walk thru and see all the figs waiting to be ripen!! You must be quite a fig collector! :). Are all the ones that you lose in the ground and the dozen remained in containers?

Regards,

SSay

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

Rishtun, I suppose in a way it did you a favor, right? At least you know how much better it feels not to be so overwhelmed by so many trees and worried. I too am sorry for your loss and hope you are getting healthier by the day)

Mike

• Rishtun Khwa
    3 years ago

Yes,MeyerMike, I did feel relief. I am not slave to so many fig related chores and the family is ahppy because there is more space for the young grand-children to run around and kick some soccer balls.

I am Okm now and can now give more time to blue blueberries, Raspberries, gooseberries etc which are a bit more tolerant of some neglect.

Best wishes to all.

• Corry Pistea
    4 months ago

Anyone still around here?

• dieseler
    4 months ago

Dieselers still hanging in there .

How fast time goes by.

Martin

• Corry Pistea
    4 months ago

Anyone looking for fig trees, information, etc… look at: https://canadianfigs.ca/

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21