Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs in Ontario, Canada

Posted by ryecooder 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 14:16

Hi guys, I don't know about you guys but the weather here in Ontario Canada has been cool at night into the 50's Will this cause fig maturing because mine are still only the size of a penny and some are smaller

Rye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs in Ontario, Canada

Hey there RYE
Yes you should be fine, our low temps have been in 50s nice sleeping weather up unitl around last week though lows have been in very low 60s like 63, 64 but figs are steadily growing in full sun. Its been so far a cool summer but humid similar to spring which was very cool. The highs have been 70s but lately hitting low 80s. I think we have had 3 90 degree days.Hopefully yours are getting full sun.

o

Tonight is 10 degree C (exactly 50F) in Zone 5a. Not encouraging for the main crop if temperatures stays like we had this past week.

o

Here in up state ny,was 50F last nigth,it is been a very cool summer and a lot of rain,but my figs doing fine ,i have them in full sun all day

o

Here is some pictures of my figs in kville
o .

o

Hey nice tree palestine. Ontario people where do you recommend buying a fig tree?

o

Nelson, you can find others in Ont. to get you started (they post here all of the time), or you can visit Adriano, in Oakville.

John.

o

Thanks John I called Adriano earlier today he told me all the trees are sold out only cuttings and he told its not the best time to start it from cutting right now. I know humber nurseries sells them but they are way too pricey.

o

• Posted by ccc1 Toronto (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 15:42

Wow, sold out already? I was thinking of giving him a call to try and pick up (again) a LSU Gold as well as a Victoria Grape (seedless)... I asked him for one last year but he didn't have any available. Oh well... if you don't find a source by the fall (around Oct/Nov), post here or email me again and I could pass you a cutting or two.

I don't have much though... only got a Celeste, a Desert King, one that was labeled "Bugasota" that I picked up from Greektown (most likely a BT) and an unknown that an Italian neighbour gave me (currently rooted cuttings with 1-2 leaves).

You're also in Toronto, so if you want to meet up at a subway station, I don't even need to worry about shipping... Oh well... that's in the fall though. Except for that Bugasota, my trees are still way too small to chop up for cuttings...

o

nelson, how far are you from the intersection of Humber College Boulevard and highway #27 in Etobicoke (Rexdale)?
are you able to come there during early morning hours and pick up some cuttings and/or little fig trees?

***** where will you keep your fig trees during bitter winter time?

o

In addition to Adriano in Oakville, you may find the following "Niagra-on-the Lake" nursery efficient like a clock-work:
http://www.grimonut.com/catalog.php?catID=71
Also, in late fall some of the fig hobbyists in Canada may have cuttings available for trade or shipping cost.

o

Thanks guys for all the help, I just got a small Italian Fig tree from a neighbour not sure what variety it is. Radovan I live on by Lawrence & Scarlett not too far.

o

Great to see more Canadian Figgies. I think Adriano's fig tree stocks are wiped out by an order from a foreign source. I was talking to Adriano early this year & if my memory is correct he cited an order for up to 3000 trees.

Rye, my figs in BC are just getting ready for picking. Would be picking the first nicely ripen Lattarula today that my son missed. Other variants should ripen soon. Most of my main crop figs are at least the size of a dime(some quarter size too) or larger with more coming on new shoots. The ones that are still coming would likely not ripen.

o

nelson,

here is my Email address:

mathyork1@hotmail.com

o

Hey guys my figs are still at a dime to a 25 cent piece, will these ripen if the weather gets warmer :P

o

My figs in toronto are about the size of a loonie. However, the figs inside the greenhouse in pots have brebas close to ripening...perhaps 3-4 days more.
The best current place to purchase trees is Grimo Nut in Niagara. Adriano, although a terrific source and great person, is quite limited in what he has available nowadays. I would keep my eyes/ears open as I heard of another boutique style fig source in Canada that will probably start next fall. Other Canadian figgies are best source for cuttings.
I have heard more than one fig grower comment that their figs in the ground have had squirrel problems. Not sure what others are seeing. All of mine are in pots so I dont have a reference.
Now that the weather is getting nicer, the ripening will be full force. The trees will have to work fast though.

o

Ryecooder, the 25 cents size should ripen. By the way, are these plants fruiting the first time? If so, the chances are remote in getting the dime size ones to ripen by Sept unless Indian summer sets in. I have a number of trees last 2 years where the figs were dime size at this time & either I had no chance to saviour them or they tasted so awfully bland. Last year I did not get to have a single Osbourne Prolific(main crop) ripen on time but this year I am hopeful and it seems more of my main crop is on schedule to ripen by end Sept or early Oct. If the weather continues to be like this hot in BC(above 25*C), I should get to saviour more figs.

o

Is anyone in Ontario growing figs in ground and uncovered in the winter? If so, how is the success rate and what cultivars are you growing?

Thanks,
Little John

o

From what Adriano tells me, even the hardiest of figs will die to the ground in our climate here... we regularly go down below -20*C (-4*F) and hit -31*C (-23*F) as recently as 2005 here in Toronto. You go further north, like Ottawa, and you hit -30*C almost every year.

That said... anyone here from the sothern tip of Ontario on this forum? Places like Windsor, Ontario used to be listed as zone 7a (but has been really cold the last few years).

o

Yes, you are right about Ottawa hitting -30*C (-22*F) almost every year and sometimes for a couple of weeks at a stretch. The extreme can get to -35*C (-31*F) so it is either a cold storage in the basement or a heated garage for winter storage. No other way if one has more than a couple of plants.
However, I am noticing that our breba may ripen almost the same time as Toronto and Montreal. I have a Brunswick that is pretty fat, yellowish soft and close to harvest. Two others, both Bifara, may take two more weeks to ripen.

o

Very interesting discussion!

If I can add to the discussion I have been exploring around Montreal and I have discovered that there a few people growing figs in Montreal. I am surprised with this since I was under the impression that only a few people grew figs in Montreal. Obviously, the owners of the fig trees I met are Italians, Portuguese and Greeks.

Some do keep their trees outside during winter by burying them. One of these trees that I came across was at least 3 meters in height with huge brebas.

When I will have a moment I will publish an article on this with pictures.

o

ccc1 -- any chance Adriano tells you how he winterise his figs ? I would like to winterise most of my potted fig trees outside minus the digging and less heaving indoors if possible.

o

Yes he did... And it seems to be working as I am waiting for 15 Desert King brebas to ripen on a 3' plant that I planted inground last year. I plan to take some picture of the process this fall, but here's a brief on it...

-Grow you fig a a bush of 3-5 main trunks total.
-each year let 1-2 new shoots grow up to become next years trunks, get rid of rest
-trunks of 2 years (sometimes even 3) and less that are flexible to be bent by weighing them down with bags of dirt are bent to the ground. Older ones get cut or left to die.
-after they are bent to the ground, cover with leaves (min 6 inches on top of bent branches.
-cover with tarp and throw some snow over these tarps for extra insulation over the winter

He's also got a big (10') tree that he grows against his house (L-shaped section, so 2 walls of the house)that he frames up and covers with a tarp to make it like a makeshift attached greenhouse. His drier vents into this little area to keep this tree alive. Hard to describe, but I was amazed how well it works for him.

o
RE: Figs in Ontario, Canada -

• Posted by ccc1 Toronto (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 12:50

Oh, forgot to mention, he bends the tree down for that little attachment to his house as well, and he also stores some of his potted figs in this enclosure.

During the process last year, I was amazed on how flexible some of these branches are. Especially if you bend them slowly, over a period of a couple of weeks.

o

ccc1, thanks for the very interesting info especially given the fact Adriano is no young lad. Looks like I got to save up for a trip to Adriano's place.

o

ryecooder, Palestine and ccc1: I tried to e-mail all of you about fig trading and the spam filters must have eaten them. Please get in touch with me at jsuther at nb. sympatico. ca

John.

o

I just wanted to thank the wonderfull Serbian Man Radovan for all the Help and generosity. Thank you Dusan for the wonderfull Plants & Cuttings really helped me out and looks like I will enojoy some wonderfull Figs this year.

Thank you
Nelson

o

Fully agreed with Nelson. I was surprise with a beautiful plant and I offer to reciprocrate & he cited he has too many for now. Meantime to honour Dusan's generosity, I have given his unknown giant black serbian variant a name "Sumadija Dusan" & have shared his generosity with others. Thanks Dusan.

Paully

o

True. Dusan has helped many in Canada with his generosity. Dusan, Paully and others like him on both sides of the border have inspired many of us to share the cuttings and rooted plants with others. Thanks to all of them.

o

guys, thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so glad that I can share something with all of you that I deeply love.

it is really nice to see fig lovers rejoice together.

Best wishes,
Dusan (aka Radovan)

o

I guess I am late to the party, Yes, Dusan is a very kind man who inspires others with his generosity.
I am also interested in trades and sharing of cuttings and plants. Feel free to introduce yourself at figs4sly@gmail.com.
I live in Toronto...

Nas (Sly33)

o

Here is my fig tree, lots of figs but still small
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Nas, thank you very much.

o

Yes, Thanks to radovan too. He got me started in New Brunswick with many, many cuttings and even a plant this spring. He taught me to be generous with others requesting plants and cuttings.

As for extending the short season where I live, I am enclosing an upper level sun porch with glass, door, and insulation. I will move figs into there towards the end of September and squeeze another month or so of development in the Fall and bring figs forward a month in the spring. I might even get close to a zone 7 if I am lucky. I will also put a small heater in there to keep it not as cold as our usual winters.
John.

o

Ryecooder - Nice plant. Good chance you will get to enjoy some figs. I have a few plants having the same size main crop figs and I am hoping for Indian summer. Some sort of green house will help.

o

Vandemeer Nursery and Richters herbs sell fig trees in Ontario. :) I just bought a Hardy Chicago at Ricthers this past month.

o

Anyone have updaded pics of this years crop? These last couple days have been a real treat weather wise. Now i just have to figure out wich pest is stealing all the damn figs off the paradiso Radovan gave me and i literally build a jail cell around the plant and thats not working.

o

Ok so here is my first Bronze Paradiso Fig from the plant Radovan gave me the 8 figs that the rats or squirls stole were allot bigger and this one fell off the tree this morning as you can see the neck was starting to shrivel still tasted great though. This one was about the size of a golfball, Oh and sorry guys camera died as I took the pic the inside was pink Nice and sweet and great taste.
Bronze paradiso

o

You sure the camera did not work or you Could Not Wait!!!!

o

LOL both but the damn battery had to die after I cut the fig in half. When the others are ripe I will post better pics.

o

Whats left of my Bronze Paradiso god damn rats are stealing all the figs. So far over 15 Figs They stole

Bronze Paradiso 8

Bronze Paradiso 6

Bronze Paradiso 5

Bronze Paradiso 4

Bronze Paradiso 9

Photobucket
Heres the 11 year old pitbull guard dog watching squirls lol

o

hey there,

i wonder if any of you can explain to me how to introduce my fig plant to the outdoors. i just took it out this morning, as it getting a little warmer outdoors these days. the plant was in the living room for the last couple of months and it has lots of nice green leafs, new branches are coming out and it was doing great. it has been only 2-3 hours and i can already see its wilting off, especially some of the new growth....i placed the plant in a warm corner where it only gets sun for about 2 hrs per day..from 9 till 11 or so

i am doing this right?

o

The photos are wonderful; what beautiful trees and fruit. Liked the dog too.

o

Hi, everyone in this particular forum:

I live in Toronto, Canada.
I am new to in ground fig growing.
I would like to get advices from all of you
regarding how to winterize the fig tree with
your proven methods.

Thanks!

Fignewbies

o

Hello to all fig enthusiasts,
I am a newbie here and am very much interested in growing fig trees in pots. However, I do not know where I can buy fig cuttings/small trees here in Toronto.

I would like to ask if someone in this forum is kind enough and willing to provide me a free fig cutting that I can use to start with my fig adventure. :-)

Also, can you buy fig trees from Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc.? If so, when is the best time to buy one that is not so expensive?

Thank you very much and hope someone in this forum can help me out.

Regards,

yapt51

o

I should be able to help with a couple cuttings .
Let me know .

John

o

i can help as well with some cuttings and probably even 1 or 2 little plants later on this spring

o

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has the "Dessert King" fig.
Does the fruit taste good and how big is the fruit?
Thanks for your information!

o

Desert king is probably the best fig to have for our climate because it will ripen its fruit in late June early July during the dry part of our summer. Most other varieties start to ripen late august and on during our wet weather . I have tried a ripe desert king picked from a tree in Toronto and was not expecting much . I was totally surprised by how good it was . It's a medium size fig .
My desert king has not fruited yet though this will be its third year , so I might get lucky .

John

o

Desert king is probably the best fig to have for our climate because it will ripen its fruit in late June early July during the dry part of our summer. Most other varieties start to ripen late august and on during our wet weather . I have tried a ripe desert king picked from a tree in Toronto and was not expecting much . I was totally surprised by how good it was . It's a medium size fig .
My desert king has not fruited yet though this will be its third year , so I might get lucky .

John

o

From what I've seen, most of the cheaper fig trees available (Canadian Tire, etc) are Hardy Chicago. I put one in last year, we'll see how it wintered (wrapped, not buried). I plan to put a temporary green house around it this spring & in the early fall. Wish me luck!

o

Hi. I'm new to fig growing and have just started to get a few plants/cuttings. I am looking for Marseilles Black VS because I am reading that it is one that is better for colder zones and ripens earlier than most varieties. If anyone has any cuttings to spare, I would love to get some. I live in Newfoundland, Canada so cold hardy and early ripening are traits that I look for in most of my endevours to push the limits on my growing zone. Thanks.

o

Hi rgvnewf..

Check out Dany's nursery out of Quebec. He has that variety for $12.99 if you want something established. He ships in May or June.

Tyler

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia-Quebec

o

Hello everyone...
I'm new to this forum but would like to learn more about figs... I'm located in Kitchener, ON and I'm interested in planting some figs...
Drop me a line and help the brother out...
Also, if you have a contact from "Radovan" please share it with me.
Thanks
boki_071 at hotmail.com

o

Hi,

freki: How is your fig tree after the winter?

rgvnewf: Dany's nursery out of Quebec is trustable. He answers inquiries promptly!

o

post deleted

This post was edited by cro_smokva on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:52

o

post deleted

This post was edited by cro_smokva on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 10:54

o

We are growing our first fig plant - we have a number of good sized green figs similar to the photos above, but they are still hard. Is it possible for them to ripen further in this fall weather? I read somewhere the figs are ripe when they are soft and drooping and no longer perpendicular to the brand...ours show no signs of getting there. Any advice welcome!

o

We are growing our first fig plant - we have a number of good sized green figs similar to the photos above, but they are still hard. Is it possible for them to ripen further in this fall weather? I read somewhere the figs are ripe when they are soft and drooping and no longer perpendicular to the brand...ours show no signs of getting there. Any advice welcome!

o

o
Trading Figs Canada

Anyone interested in trading figs in Canada? Seems like it is more seamless than trading across the border. Too many rules. Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here