Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig bushes/ no figs ?

Posted by janoyan (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 14:39

I have six beautiful fig bushes - young 4 year old trees - about 6 ft. tall, that are full of healthy dark green lush leaves but no fruits, not one. What is the reason ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig bushes/ no figs ?

Most likely too much Nitrogen fertilizer or too much shade. Are they potted? Any pictures? What varieties?

o

Thank you igo4fish for you reply.

No they are not potted. No did not give them any fertilizer, just compost mulch for winter protection.They do get plenty of sun, that is when we get it, here in Oregon. We have had very little or no Summer so far, that may have something to do with it. But then again why such healthy growing branches and leaves.

o

What type of figs are they? Do they die back during winter?

o

Thank you Karly 30' for your response.

I can not remember the variety name. It is one common to Oregon.

I don't understand what you mean by "die in the winter"

I pruned them very well last winter .

o

It might be Desert King, which only produces figs on last year's wood, which you pruned off. My Desert king produces main crop fig on this year's wood, but they drop off. I have heard that some strains of DK don't even form main crop figs at all.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe for putting your finger on the fig problem. Never shall I prune again.

Janoyan

o

If it does turn out to be Desert King then the time to prune is in the summer immediately after harvesting the fruit. That gives the plant time to put out new growth which produces fruit the following year.

Joe

o

Great info. Joe. Thanks
Janoyan

o

hey janoyan

if it is dessert king and if you ever plan on cutting it back some more, i would love to have a cutting or two if you can spare some and dont mind to share.
i hear its a great fig to grow in pots in the north
thank you, eli

o

Be happy to share it with you Theman.
Remind me about it later, say Nov. or early Dec.
Janoyan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here