Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

'Golden Atreano' ... good crop of figs

"Golden Atreano" just a few weeks away for ripe fig crop.

All my trees, so far this season, have remained clean, with blemish-free leaves, no signs of disease, and/or insect damage.

Crop seems to be pretty much on time, although we had a very late, and cold, Spring, Hoping figs will ripen on the usual schedule, i.e. by mid/late August, all figs will be gone, eaten, and will've become a pleasant memory.

Happy growing season

BronxFigs/effdeevee

Comments (9)

• paully22
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

BronxFig, any chance you can tell me more about this Golden Atreano fig. I have the RR and OR Atreano variants. Since I came across Golden Atreano variant, it has been an on-off issue that I want to know more about Golden Atreano especially whether it is an OR or RR or a variant by itself.
    Thanks.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

paully22:

I have posted -(under the name: "effdeevee")- lots of info about this variety a few years back, starting in 2008, ... which is when I purchased my original trees from a nursery out on Long Island, called, Zaino's Garden Center/Nursery, Westbury, NY. A search for "ATREANO" on this forum might fill in some background information.

When I purchased the trees, the name tag was marked "GOLDEN ATREANO". Where these trees originated I cannot say. I just bought another 5-6 FT. tree this past spring, same nursery, and the tag was marked "ATREANO GOLD" .... I doubt it's a new variety, but just a typo-twist, or something, because my original trees from 2008 and this recently purchased tree, are exactly the same. I have no idea where Zaino's gets their fig trees, but they are beautifully grown plants, and worth the asking price, which is very reasonable considering that they are at bearing age. No growing, no waiting, no hoping, .... just instant figs!

Now, to your original question: .... Sorry, but I cannot answer either way. I have read that there was an original variety that was grown at the now defunct, and, lamented, Belleclare's, and that RR was selling some minor variation- on-the-theme. I have also read that all "ATREANOS" are/were propagated from the original Hank Matthies tree, brought over from Naples, Italy. This was the tree that "Bellclare" propagated and sold. Other members know more about this "ATREANO"-provenance than I.

At the same time back in 2008, I also purchased some smaller "ATREANO" trees from "Burnt Ridge Nursery" located in Oregon, USA. Although the BR trees were much younger and smaller than the Zaino's trees, they ultimately turned out to be the same. Minor leaf-shape variations, but still the same. Unfortunately, the BR trees met their demise when I forgot to water them. But, I grew them a few years, and they also were great producers of quality, golden-yellow, figs. Yes, golden-yellow, not slightly green, but large, golden-yellow, sweet, jammy-textured, figs. How large were the figs? Two figs, side-by-side, fit on my open hand. The Zaino trees and the BR trees gave me the same type/quality fruit. The figs are golden-yellow when properly ripened. Maybe, that's where the "golden" qualifier comes from, in the name: "GOLDEN ATREANO"/"ATREANO GOLD"

You say that you have OR, and, the RR "ATREANO" variant. Do you see a difference between the two? I wish someone would do a side be side comparison, with pictures, maybe taken at various times throughout the growing season, especially photos of properly ripened fruit so we can all see what's going on. I'd like to know if there are differences also. I'm pretty sure that I read in past-postings, that herman2, et al. think all "ATREANOS" come from the same mold. A few members HAVE posted photos of the "ATREANO" leaves and figs, but, who knows? Leaf-shape can vary, even on the same tree, and/or from season to season. I'm wondering if this is the origin of "is it the real thing, or is it the mock" controversy? I guess the question is still open. Any "fig detectives" out there?

Hope this rambling post has shed some light on the subject. I have written about my experiences. Other FF members might have some different information to share with us.

Please, anybody, .... correct the record. HELP!!!!

Best regards,

Frank/BronxFigs/effdeevee

• paully22
    12 years ago

Thanks for the detailed info Frank. My RR variant when ripens turn yellowy, likely ended being as described as "Golden". I have not sighted a ripe "OR" variant yet. My OR tree had a die back in its 2nd season but came back. Both trees are 3rd season trees from Encanto Farms. I did have Atreano trees when I first started but they never lived past 12 months. Hence I got them from EF as original local supplier did not have them.

Original Author
    12 years ago

paully;

Sorry to read that you had some winter damage, and dieback issues with your trees. You are probably in a colder area than the Bronx, NYC. I think we are more in a Zone-8/Zone-7 area. I grow in a 25 gallon container, which gets put into an unheated storage shed for the Jan. - March season. I have had no problems overwintering my fig trees using this method.

My original, 2008 "ATREANO" has a trunk diameter of about 3-1/2" at the base. When I purchased the tree, the mainstem was just about 1" in diameter, so it has put on quite a bit of wood mass since then. It now has morphed into quite a respectable little "patio" tree that gives me plenty of delicious, golden-yellow figs. Sadly, my neighbors also love figs, ... so, you can guess the rest of the story.

Happy growing, keep in touch.

Frank, from Da-Bronx

• paully22
    12 years ago

Good to see posting again Frank. Hope to see you posting at Figs4Fun forum too. It is much more active at F4F.

Wow, to move trees in 25g container would be some chore. I left all my larger trees outside and the roots have since grown into ground. I will be giving a tree in a cedar barrel that I have left outside for 2 seasons to a friend this coming early spring. It has a special meaning for this family as that was the last thing a family member could eat & enjoyed before he succumb to cancer. Tree(Osborne Prolific) is about 10ft tall, well spread and laden with main crop figs.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Paully:

Hope I was some help.

The trees planted in 25 gallon containers are placed on dollies, so I could roll them around without getting a double-hernia! They ain't light, but at least they ain't that bad to move around... but, I'm not getting any younger. This dolly-method may have to change in the future.

Funny you should mention roots escaping from containers and growing into the ground. I had three little, rooted twigs, growing in a 10 gallon storage container, in which, I drilled some holes for drainage. I left the container on the ground, and out of the way. The figs were a "no-name" variety, so I really didn't pay much attention to them except to keep the twigs watered. The treelets did very little for the first two years, and produced a few, low-quality figs. I didn't even bother to cover them for the winter. They lived, and in year three, the twigs quickly grew into a monster-sized bush, and the original pencil-sized stems have grown and thickened into 3-4" trunks. The trees were loaded with figs, too. I tried lifting the container to move it, and almost broke my back! The roots must've grown through the drain holes, and cracked the whole bottom out of the container, and are now growing into the soil. Come next spring, I'll have to dig a trench around what's left of the container, and do a "root-chop", so that I could pot up individual trees which will be about 6 ft. tall. These fig trees certainly benefited by growing in-ground for a couple of years. I just hope they survive the drastic root-pruning that I will need to do. I'm going to attempt some air-layering on the branches growing straight up, and if I'm successful, I'll have about 25 trees to pot in containers. The figs produced so far are not that bad, but they're not that good, either. Maybe with correct culture/feeding/watering, etc. these trees might produce better quality figs.

• paully22
    12 years ago

It was good info Frank. It has actually come to the point of whether I should try to get a Golden Atreano. Your info makes the subject matter "AMEN".

I try not to have any more duplicate variants. Figs can grow so fast and there are many quality variants available. I experiment as many as I can and if they are good tasting for my zone, I will keep them. Hence, I try building a buddy network where I can share the spares. It also serve as an insurance in the event my tree dies & I know where I can get a replacement.

• ejp3
    12 years ago

I think I mentioned in that old post that I have grown Belleclare atreano and zaino "golden atreano". My opinion is that they are identical, same leaf shape, same arching growing habit and same fruit. Never tried the other 2 atreano's mentioned.

Original Author
    12 years ago

ejp3:

Glad that you said that! I was beginning to wonder just which "ATREANO" I am growing!

Maybe all this discussion will settle the "Atreano" - Identity Crisis.

May your crops be bountiful.

Eff

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm