Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

I have figs! (I think)

mandolls
11 years ago

My fig is in it's third summer and is now starting to form what I suspect are figs. tiny little nubs right now, but red instead of green and at the leaf axils.

I have a few questions. I know they take quite a while to turn into mature figs. Since this is early July I assume that there should be time before frost (mid Oct.) for them to mature?

Also. Should I allow all of the figs that the tree is forming to grow? It is a bush form, with about eight main branches, all between 3 and 4 ft. As a youngish tree can it handle full production?

Comments (10)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Depending on variety, and growing conditions, figs take between 70-85 days from tiny figlets to full-ripe stage.

You might want to research pinching techniques, on this forum, and read what effect pinching will have on your forming figs. Briefly, pinching back new growth to about 6-7 leaves will send the tree's energy into ripening figs that are already forming. You might get fewer ripe figs if growth is allowed to go unchecked.

Good luck and enjoy your ripe figs.

Frank

• mandolls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Frank - I have been following this forum for the past year or so. I did pinch back about two weeks ago, which is what I think initiated the start of the fruit. I plan on continuing to pinch off new growth as it happens.

90 days puts me into October, but we rarely have hard frosts before the middle, so I should be ok. It is a potted plant, so I can bring it in and out when the weather gets iffy.

I am still questioning how many figs I can allow to ripen on a tree this young. Its big bushy and healthy, but I dont want to stress it out. I'll see if I can get a picture taken tomorrow.

It is in a 15 gallon pot (I think) but it obviously is getting-root bound already, as I need to water it every other day. I fertilized again today with a 15-30-15, and will continue every 2 weeks or so.

11 years ago

Be careful of fertilizing your tree too far into the season. All that green wood will die back if it is not properly hardened-off before the cold temps strike your area. Start to cut way down on the Nitrogen, or you'll push green growth that will be too juicy to survive.

It's impossible to tell how many figs are on the tree without good photos, but if the tree is loaded, you can't go wrong by thinning out some of the newer, recently formed figlets. Any new figs should be pinched out. Give what ever has formed a chance to ripen.

Keep that container in the cool shade, but the leaves in sun. Heat stress from hot potting medium can be bad on the tree.

You are lucky. Bringing your tree indoors for cold nights will extend your season.

Good luck...and, watch that fertilizer!

Frank

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I never know that pinching makes the figs ripen. When my trees had no little figs in May I pinched them and they produced lots of little figs. I fertilize and water very good and partially protect them from the harsh sun. The leaves are so green and healthy and the trees are producing more leaves. Should I pinch the new growth now for ripening?
    I thought every fig needs a certain number of leaves to produce food and stay healthy. I thought the leaves are very important to the fruit and the whole tree health.

11 years ago

Pinch out all new terminal buds. Initial, first pinching usually leaves behind 6-8 leaves, and figlets will form in leaf nodes. The number of figs will be limited, but more likely to ripen faster in colder climates.

After the initial pinching, all newly formed terminal buds should be pinched out to send all the tree's energy into ripening figs that already have formed. You may want to let some new branchlets grow out to fill in tree, but pinch out new figlets. Lay off of the fertilizers so that the newly formed wood will harden-off for the coming winter, or you will get die-back if wood is not lignified, and is too juicy, and soft.

Hope this helps.

Frank

• mandolls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took a few pics this morning.

I am hoping, but not positive that these are going to be figs. They dont look like leaf nodes. Also a picture of the plant itself so you can see the size - I think the pot is about 20" across. I have no idea what kind of fig it is. I bought it through a cheapo mail order company, it was just called "Dwarf Fig" - but you have to start somewhere.

• noss
    11 years ago

What a pretty setting for your tree. What kind of sun, how many hours a day, does it get?

noss

• mandolls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - Thats my new septic tank. The tree sits on the concrete lid and I have planted around it to hide other pipe vent protrusions. The plantings also help shade the pot. It gets direct sun from about 8 am - 5 or 6pm. this time of year. Its one of the sunniest spots in my yard. The pic was taken about 6:30 am so it looks shadier than it is.

• noss
    11 years ago

Sounds like a good site for the tree. Are those purple coneflowers? They are lovely. You have succeeded in beautifying a septic tank lid!!! What a neat thing to do.

noss

• mandolls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep - Cone flowers, yellow iris, peonies and Dahlias (still small) on the stakes.

Do those little red nubs look like they are going to be figs when they grow out?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner