Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Magnolia Fig

Good day, a friend of mine has a Madnolia Fig tree and wants to get rid of it. I've visited Jon's website and read the information there. I just need more information from others who have this tree. Before I say yes to my friend, I have a few questions.

1. Is this tree a fast grower?

2. Is it the same as Brown Turkey or Brunswick?

3. Is it cold hardy?

4. On a sweetness scale of 1 to 10, how sweet is it?

5. On a richness scale of 1 to 10 how rich is it?

For example, I have a Ronde De Bourdeaux. On a sweetness scale, I'd give it an 8. On a richness scale, I'd give it an 7. All comments are welcome, cheers, Dennis

Comments (10)

• youngbonner
    13 years ago

Hello Dennis;

My first fig tree was a 10 yr old Magnolia planted in my yard in the New Orleans area. After seeing the figs explode from the rain we had last July/august, and buying closed eye figs I had planned on relocating the tree this winter.
    However, I found one ripe magnolia fig a few days ago and it was so good I decided to keep it.
    From internet comments, I've learned that this is the same fig as the brunswick. It is a relatively fast growing tree; it was a popular tree in the South Texas fig plantations in the early to mid 1900s. It is an abundant producer of golfball sized fruit with an open eye - requiring a dry climate. If you have a limited growing area with alot of rain, you might pass, but if you are not limited by space or rainfall then give it a try.
    Again, this fig has an open eye; alot of my figs soured because of the rain and the fig beetles that are attracted to the figs and run in and out all day. Herman once posted that he had the annoying fig beetles until he got rid of his magnolia fig tree.
    young, in Laplace, LA

• youngbonner
    13 years ago

This fall once the tree goes dormant, I am planning to take several air layers and cut it back significantly after seeing pics of the S. Texas fig farm magnolias cut back to approx. 3 feet of height.

I'd be happy to share cuttings and will post when they are available. Big, prolific, amber pulp, OPEN EYE.

I'm thinking of putting my EZE-UP over the tree to keep the rain off so I can enjoy more of its figs.
    young

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Young,

What is EZE-UP?

Thanks,

Vivian

• wildforager
    13 years ago

an EZ-up is a canopy that people typically use when vending at fairs and festivals.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is great information guys. Thank you so much guys! If this fig has a sweetness of an 8. Then I an wondering if the tree my neighbor has is a Magnolia. It splits badly but the figs are so so good. Some figs split and some do not. But they are larger than brown turkey. They look like a dark brown O'Rourke (Improved Celeste). Any way I will tell my friend that I will take one fig tree, keep it a pot for about 2 years then plant it in the ground. thank you all for your commments and suggestions. Cheers, Dennis

• youngbonner
    13 years ago

Hey Vivian,

Yeppers, EZ Up is a portable canopy that fair and roadside vendors use to get out of the sun and rain.

• rafed
    13 years ago

I have one, At least it's labeled as a Magnolia.
    The branches weep on mine, Mostly due to the size and weight of the figs that grow on them.

It is one of the best looking and producing fig trees I have in my collection.

Last year was the first year it really produced anything worth talking about but we didn't really have a Summer so most of the figs went to waste. I was lucky enough to harvest a hand full of them.

This year looks much better. I expect a good harvest and it is producing very well again.

The figs grew quite large on last years crop so I hope to see better results this year.

Rafed

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

In Georgia the Magnolia fig will be a vinegar bacteria spreader to other trees,via insects resulting in many other cultivars ,souring their fruits,so to Dennis in Georgia I say,do not Bother,you will create problems you do not have now.
    Personally I did what your neighbour wants to do.
    This cultivar is the best fig in Israel,but not Georgia.
    In TexaS FRUITS WERE HARVESTED JUST BEFORE GETTING RIPE AND USED IN PRESERVES.
    iF YOU WANT TO DO THE SAME THEN THIS CULTIVAR IS GOOD FOR YOU.
    h2

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Wildforager and Young,

Thanks. This must be like what is in the pictures that were posted by someone else here, where he was putting his figs to get them out of the sun. Really neat.

I'm thinking that shadecloth over the birdnetting, just over the top of the netting frame, might keep some of the strong sun off the Celeste and maybe some rain, as well. Worth a try.

Vivian

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio