Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susandonb

Identify and info

susandonb
16 years ago

I am posting pics of my fig tree. It is three years old and so far has always died off over the winter and grows new growth from the ground up each Spring. This year is the biggest it has gotten and for the first time I have figs, YIPPPEEEE!

Now, my questions are;

What kind of tree do I have?

Also, When is the best time to divide? I am not sure if it is visible in the pics but there are three or four new trees that have come up from the roots.

We divided a couple of years ago and I have another tree about the same size from that division, but I don't know when is the best time to do this.

Also, This winter I would like to keep it safe so it doesnt have to grow from the ground up again next year, how do I do that?

Thank you,

Susan in NC

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x301/susandonb/?action=view&current=figleaf.jpg

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x301/susandonb/?action=view&current=MVC-579F.jpg

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x301/susandonb/?action=view&current=figgy.jpg

Comments (4)

• susandonb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I did this wrong. This is a test!
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:798266}}

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

Hi Susan,

Congrats on the first crop of figs.

It's always hard to ID figs as there are hundreds of varieties. A picture of the mature fruit helps though, so you might want to consider posting one after your figs mature. If I were to make a wild guess, I'd go for Brunswick (aka Madonna / Magnolia).

You can propagate figs at any time of the year. If you really intend to dig the whole thing up and divide it like a clump of iris or hosta, I'd wait until it's dormant. If you mean digging up just a sucker/side shoot with roots, then that can be done now. Pot up the sucker, remove all but the top 2 or 3 leaves and keep it in the shade for a week or so to let it recover from the process. Figs can also be propagated using cuttings, or better yet by airlayering. There are lots of posts here describing the process, so you might want to browse the archive.

You'll also turn up quite a number of posts regarding how to protect the fig from winter temperatures. Generally I find that by the 3rd winter or so, the tree becomes more established and hardy and needs little protection. For small first year plants, I like to mound clay soil up against the base, or even cover it entirely in late November. Just be careful not to use real dark material to mulch it, as it will heat up during the day, then freeze at night. This temperature swing will wreck havoc on it.

• susandonb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Gene,

I dont think I want to try and divide while it is making figs, I'll wait till figs are done. I forgot the most important question, how do I know when a fig is ripe? Having never gotten any I have no clue?

Thanks,
    Susan

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

It's easy to want to pick them too soon. The fruit will seem to hang there in suspended animation for an eternity, then suddenly it will swell and the skin color shifts, even if only minutely for the green figs. But even then don't rush to pick them. Wait until the fruit droops, and becomes soft and flabby to the touch. To the eye they will seem slightly past their prime. Even picking one day early can mean just so-so taste, compared to exquisite when picked at just the right time. Problem is that the birds and other critters are willing to pick them anytime -- so throw a net over it to make sure that you get some.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida