Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonrods

Identify my fig tree, figs don't get ripe...

dragonrods
16 years ago

Here are my two trees, I was told they are Turkey Figs when I bought them at a nursery, but I have never seen a brown fig yet, in 4 years!!!

These figs grow or a month or so then the leaves fall off the tree as you can see, there only 3/4 of the leaves on the tree then the figs just fall off over time...no good fruit, I have picked a few big ones and they have a light pink interior some are darker sometime when I pic them s milky sap comes out of the stem I picked it from, HELP!!!!!

Comments (13)

• glenn9643
    16 years ago

Don't know if I can help, but it's my understanding that Brown Turkey has a small eye which has a reddish color from a very early stage, and yours don't exhibit that.
    Yours make me think of my Kadota based on the appearance of the figs, but I'm not certain about the leaves.
    Someone else will probably chime in with better help.

• loslunasfarms
    16 years ago

I thought Kadota orginally but my kadotas are a bit more yellow. A turkey tends to turn brown-purple towards the end of ripening.

• figfarmer
    16 years ago

What part of the country are you in?? The hot desert? The humid south? If you are in the desert, maybe you
    arenot giving enough water. Water dailey and see what happens. You can't always count on a nursery plant being what they say it is. Maybe your tree is diseased. Have you sprayed
    any weed killer in the area? You can spray 20 feet away and wind will carry enough herbicide to kill off leaves. Lots of possibilities. More info needed. FF

• dragonrods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am in Houston, Zone 9 as stated above. We have had plenty of water and there has been no weed killer sprayed.

• bjs496
    16 years ago

The leaves fall off because of rust. The air is just too humid in Houston. With all the rain, the problem is even more so this year.

There is milky sap on the stem end when you pick the fruit because the fruit is not fully ripe yet.

If you bought the trees at a nursery in Houston, there is not telling what you have. I say this with lots of experience. The more popular varieties around the Houston area are Celeste, Kadota, Alma, and Brown Turkey. You already said they do not turn brown, so we can eliminate BT. If your fruit stays yellow, then I would tend to agree with everyone else and say Kadota (or one of its variants). If your tree has tinges of golden brown, it is probably Alma. The fruit on your tree does not appear to be the same size/shape as the Celeste variant that seems to be everywhere in Houston.

If you live close to the Clear Lake area, I can direct you to where a Celeste, an Alma, and a Brown Turkey live and hang over a fence in public view. You could go to those locations to see what they look like and what stage of development they are in.

~james

• dragonrods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Brookwood so I am in Clear Lake. I bought them at Mas Nursery in Seabrook. They said they were BT. Well I haven't seen anything that looks like the rust I have seen as examples on my tree but maybe I don't know????

• glenn9643
    16 years ago

Rust is apparent on several leaves in your fourth photo. Go and look closely.

• glenn9643
    16 years ago

Sorry, I think the third photo.

• dragonrods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok with that said and you see rust, what do I do to get rid of it? Or at least help remove it...

• glenn9643
    16 years ago

You can read the linked post in this forum; chances are a search of the forum will yield more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of rust...

• bjs496
    16 years ago

Maas Nursery claimed they've only had two varieties of figs go through their nursery... BT and Celeste. I asked a few years ago when I saw a 1 gallon tree there that didn't look like either. I bought it thinking it might be the famed "Banana" variety fig that is thought to have originated in Seabrook. If it is, I am in agreement with everyone else who has said Banana is very similar (if not identical) to Kadota. Another give away for Kadota over the other varieties is that the fruit is in tighter clusters. It is something I see more in my Kadota trees than the other trees.

~james

• jonzamorano
    10 years ago

If I had to guess, these look like gold figs. Gold figs ripen in a bright green color, from the photos, the leaves and the figs are a bright green. I'm just learning about this stuff myself, so I might not be right.

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

You are picking them unripe.
    Let them ripe till the skin shrink a little and the fruit is hanging down,in vertical position.
    You got a Kadota there,and the climate is adeqvate to ripe Kadota in Houston.