Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs won't ripen...

Posted by RMarsden none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:34

Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I am in Phoenix and planted a Violette de Bordeaux last spring. It receives full sun, in a sheltered back yard. It has grown to about 8 feet tall, with healthy dark green leaves, and while a lot of figs appear and grow, they don't ever seem to become ripe. The closest thing to ripe were two that were dark in color, but when cut open, they were dry, coarse, and not sweet at all. It has four drip lines (open, no drippers on them) that run for an hour total throughout the day. It has been given fruit tree fertilizer twice over the past year. And it's never been pruned. Would a photo help? Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs won't ripen...

This is how Violette de Bordeaux was performing in Phoenix Arizona,By Grower :Frozen Joe,described on the forum "Figs4fun.
As you can see your tree is not near like his.
It is young now but if next year it keep making dry inedible fruits ,discard it,it must be a seedling.
For now find out PH value in soil and apply powder limestone if acidic,to bring it to 7 ,neutral.

Violette de Bordeaux - This tree was an aggressive grower. It produced a dozen brebas. Their quality was from good to excellent. Medium size. Good texture. Fruit rating 9. It produced many dozens of main crop figs. Their quality was from poor to excellent. Medium size. Poor to good texture. Fruit rating 8. The most productive in my collection; it was the best fig this year in the spring and the fall.

o

I saw a you tube vid where a guy pruned bunches of leaves off of the tree. The idea being that the tree was under stress ( as if winter was approaching) and needed to get the fruit to market.

o

I have one tree like that. Figs do not ripen and if ripined it is dry and tasteless. It is labeled brown turkey by the nursery. I have other brown turkey which are 8 feet away produces sweet eatable figs, I decided to cut its branches and use it as a rootstock.

o

Herman knows figs, follow his advice. Also I ran into that trouble past years and snipped the tops and stunted long growth which allowed the plant to focus on fig production. This is working very well. Rick C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here