Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fignut

Neveralla breba

fignut
15 years ago

I got my first breba today - a Neveralla. Wow! It was so good - very sweet, with a rich taste. It probably could have been picked a couple of days ago - it had the classic beggar's cape look then.

But I didn't have time to take pictures, so I let it stay on the tree. It was slightly dehydrated which might account for the rich taste. It was two and a half inches long and weighed about one ounce (30 grams). The skin was fairly thin and didn't need to be peeled.

I wasn't expecting much - brebas have a reputation for being bland. And the Weeping Fig brebas from last year were nice and sweet, but as Gene said, lacked "character".

Not a problem that this fig has, LOL.

Comments (8)

• gene_washdc
    15 years ago

Hi Fignut -- where did you get yours? Mine came from Raintree. My tree had a pretty form, but I had to let the figs overripen for them to be good, and the birds would never let them last that long. I was also more attracted to the violet/black figs, so I finally removed it to make room for others.

• fignut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gene, It has FMV, and I got it as an experiment subject from a generous FF member.
    I guess my letting it get overripe was a blessing. I don't have to worry about birds this year - it was my only Neveralla breba, LOL. I madea real bone-headed move and lost most of my brebas earlier in the season. Does it have a large breba crop usually? Did the main crop ripen for you?

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

Fignut:
    Nice photo and post. By chance how is your Weeping Black fig doing? Any brebas this year?
    Leon

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Hi Gene, fignut,

My young Neveralla also came from Raintree, but has not
    fruited for me yet...

George (NJ).

• gene_washdc
    15 years ago

Fignut -- I think mine had brebas, but was not what I would call a heavy crop. The fall crop did ripen for me here.

George -- I remember mine took a very long time to fruit, 4-5 years. Of course that was in the ground not a pot, don't know how you're keeping yours.

• fignut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gene. I hope I can get a fall crop here.

Hi Leon, I shocked my trees and lost most of the brebas. They were in leaf and hardened off, and we were expecting freezing night temperatures. So I rolled them into the garage. But instead of taking them out the next morning, I left them inside, as we were expecting more cold that night. When I took them out after two nights and a day in the garage, I put them where they had been before in the sun. It turned out to be a very hot, windy day and all the trees shocked - leaves drooped and brebas fell like rain (hail maybe, LOL). My Weeping Fig managed to hold 3 brebas - the most of all the trees. They are soft now and look ripe. I'm going to let them hang another day or two and see if they develop a figgier taste than last year.
    The plant is growing well, but still no "weeping". The main stem branches into four and all are upright. But the mother plant had a very upright main stem with just the secondary branches drooping. Time will tell, LOL.

• Tahoma
    11 years ago

I have a mature Neveralla in W. WA. state and get no brebas but a decent main crop every 4-yrs. The bush has a S. exposure and is close to the house. Studies have shown that
    Desert King is clearly the most reliable variety in the cool NW as it produces a consistent breba crop in Aug. I am looking
    to trade a couple 1-yr old Kings for a Violette de Bordeaux, Black Jack, Brunswick, Lattarula or anything with a good breba crop. Also have Neveralla cuttings.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Gene How in GOD'S sake you are in zone 6 and got breba I am in warmer zone 7b and never got one. what is your secret.
    when you took your fig into the garage you should provided no heat light during the day. When I take my favorite trees with figs on it into the green house because it is cold outside and I know they will be there during the day light I TURN THE GREEN house lights on,

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor