Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig cuttings showing roots, now what?

Posted by richdel DE 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:02

So like the subject says, my Sicilian Red fig cuttings are finally starting to show roots. Multiple roots on 3 or 4 cuttings, anywhere from 1/2 inch to inch long. I have read that a clear cup filled with coarse vermiculite should be the next step. My question is this: Since I have roots, could I just go into soil and skip the vermiculite/humidor stage?

I see where some have had luck putting cuttings into soil, so I should be a little better off by planting cuttings that have roots already started. Any thoughts on this. If yes, any thoughts to the type of soil mixture that might help the cuttings? I currently up-potted my 3 purchased trees into 1 gallon pots with a 60/40 mix of hummus and perlite. They seem to be doing OK after several weeks. Would that be a candidate for soil mixture for these cuttings?

Thanks in advance...
Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig cuttings showing roots, now what?

Hi, I place my cuttings directly in a course well draining mix of bark, perlite and soil. I use to go into vermiculite and perlite and if you water to much they rot. With a loose mix with lots of air pockets they seldom rot. As long as you keep them in a bin to keep up the humidity the roots love the large air pockets with high humidity. Here is a link to a video showing how I do it. Make sure to have a number of holes on the bottom and sides of the cups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating fig tree cuttings

o

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I have gone through several of your Youtube video's,and they are very informative. So even though my scions have multiple half-inch or longer roots, you still recommend putting them into a humidity-controlled space rather then going straight to pots with a light soil/soiless mix?

How often do you check on moisture while they are in this controlled environment? Reason I ask, I will be vacationing during this time and 1 week may be too long to go without checking on moisture conditions. Maybe I need to wait until I get home to do this...?

Thanks again.

o

Just found out that all three cuttings I purchased have light brown scale on them. Couldn't tell from just looking at it with the eye, had to get a jewelers loupe (x60) and it became really evident that it was scale. Called the nursery PRIOR to diagnosing on my own, but they didn't call back. Now I know why.

I used my fingernal to remove about 30 pieces of scale combined from the 3 plants. Going to wait and see how fast it returns before trying to eradicate using 70% alcohol on a q-tip on the scale that comes back. Read where any type of insecticide shouldn't be used in temps over 85*, hard to find the time to do this during the summer. Will have to do it in the basement I guess.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here