Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune more to make it branch?

Posted by hifromprovidence 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 17:13

Just took back all of the big trunks that died back from the winter and now I have one decent looking leading branch that comes very low off one of these trunks. Should I just let this one go as high as it'll go this season or should I cut it back a bit so it'll thicken the base of it and allow it to branch? I must say I still don't understand pruning much at all despite what I read. Thanks. Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune more to make it branch?

it'll branch out sooner or later, right now its very stressed. i'd leave it alone till next spring.

o

So it will branch without cutting? Maybe I'll stake it up so it doesn't break then. Thanks.

o

yes it will branch on its own.

no need to stake it. unless theres a storm with gale force winds, like a hurricane or something.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 22:32

If you have a dog, staking is a good idea. My dog will trample anything without a stick holding it up.

It looks like you lost a well developed fig there. From what I've read here about the damage and death from the cold of this past winter I hope that northern fig owners learned not to be complacent and bundle them up from now on.

o

It is a little late to nip it, seems like it now has apical dominance growing into a whip like plant .
Nipping it at this late date will not give newer emerging shoots that would grow into brnaches time to harden off before cold weather.

I would personally stake it so when time comes in your zone to protect the branch has less chance to snap.

Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here