Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jajada_gw

Finally Pictures, Please help diagnose...

jajada
13 years ago

So I have the 'shriveled up fig' problem as it seems many others have here on the board. Some of my trees may need to be pollenated but last year we did have a few figs that were sweet and yummy so at least some of our trees must be self pollenating. Here are the pictures I promised, what does this look like? Lack of water? Pollenation? Too hot? (100 degree heat here) The figs are leathery, spongy, tough and some of them smell like they are fermenting.

I am still hopefull for our fall harvest but maybe I shouldn't be.... also have the bird and squirrel problem big time and my trees are too big to cover.

Here is a link to my old post with pictures when the figs were still green and very healthy: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0413184317132.html

And here are new pictures showing the problem:

{{gwi:799822}}

{{gwi:799823}}
{{gwi:799824}}
{{gwi:799825}}
{{gwi:799826}}
{{gwi:799827}}
{{gwi:799829}}
{{gwi:799831}}
{{gwi:799833}}
{{gwi:799835}}

Comments (9)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I could post pictures of some of my trees with the exact same problem and they do not need to be pollinated.

Unfortunately Dave Wilson Nursery deleted their very good videos named....
    High Density Fruit Trees In The Las Vegas Desert  part 1
    High Density Fruit Trees In The Las Vegas Desert  part 2

In them you would see that all the trees living and thriving in the Las Vegas heat have no other vegetation growing around them. They do however have six or more inches of mulch over the whole root zone.

Here's a video I fond on youtube.com that show the orchard. The Dave Wilson videos where better and emphasized the think layer of mulch and likely places where you can find free mulch which this video does not.

Sawdust and wood chips make nice mulch. Places to look for mulch would be cabinet shops and land fills and companies that take care of trees. Locally I found a tree service company on craigslist last year that delivered wood chips for free. Unfortunately they only delivered full dump truck loads and I had to pass on their offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Gardeners Tree Fruit Orchard - Growing Fruits and Vegetables in Las Vegas

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Jajada:Your tree is Kadota,and the fruits are all breba fruits.
    These breba fruits on Kadota will persist only if polinated,if not they fall out,as you can see.
    Main crop will grow next and those will persist without polination.
    Of course if the trees needs water or nutrients then that is why,it is no forming the main crop.
    I do not see young main crop on that tree?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

If they are Kadota herman2 is right. I stay away from figs that need to be pollinated as there are no pollinators for them here.

With any luck the main crop will be better but in a hot dry climate mulching is a must.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I would prune that tree in the fall. In the Spring, fertilize it about 2 to 3 weeks before the buds open. Keep the ground moist around your tree until figs start ripening. These steps will stimulate new growth on your mature looking tree and you should produce a nice crop of figs next year. You should see at least 12 inches of new growth each year on an in ground fig tree. If you do not see at least that amount of growth, that tells you that it needs some fertilizer (or maybe more water in your situation). Use some 8:8:8, or 10:10:10, or 13:13:13 all purpose fertilizer sprinkled directly on the ground around the tree and watered in real well with a hose. This is simple to do and WILL produce good results for you. Good luck.

Dan

• jajada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, you all have GREAT info, thank you!!!!!!!
    You have reignited my desire to make something of this little orchard. Good timing too, I just got the final package from the Visalia Farmers Market which lets me sell my figs there as soon as I have them ready.

Almost all the trees now have a solid crop of new figs growing on them. They are still all green which is probably why the birds and squirrels haven't gone after them yet.... but the time will come.
    Has anyone tried tieing those little foil reflectors on the trees to scare off the birds? Out here they use those in the fields so they must have some effect (?)
    As for the squirrels, that's a tougher nut to crack, all the cowboys around here say to just put out poison dispensers which is really not my favorite way.

Thanks again!!!!!!
    Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

Someone posted a link to YouTube that shows a woman picking figs with gloves on to keep from bruising the fruit. She shows you how to pick them so that the stems separate from the branch rather than from the fig itself. Keeping the stems on the figs makes them last longer for market.

Look for the post in the thread where Sal talks about his allergic reaction and it's in there.

• tagtail
    13 years ago

Do Kadota trees have such many breba fruits? Just confused.

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

My kadota gives two crops, and we dont have a pollinator.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Well:All he got is get a Kadota from you.
    At this point the person have a Kadota just like mine,leaves,shape of Breba,etc,and the breba fall out,after growing for a while.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County