Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non Producrive Fig Trees

Posted by maizenbluedoc 8 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 17:37

I have the following fig trees which are two years old: 1. Celeste, 2. Italian, and 3. Black Mission, of which only the Italian fig has very few figs. The other two do not have any fruit. All produced fruit last year. The only difference is that all were infested with the Kudzu Beetle (Megacopta cribraria) this year. While the beetles do not appear to have harmed the trees per se, the area where they were located has a black film-like substance on the branches. No leaves were eaten and the trees appear normal. I haven't done anything different this year; watering, fertilizing, etc. Anyone have any ideas why my trees are not producing? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non Producrive Fig Trees

How about applying Limestone ,to neutralize the soil.
Fig trees will not fruit in very acidic soil.
Soil become acidic in time especially if fertilizer were applied in the past.

o
RE: Non Producrive Fig Trees/

And check roots for nematodes infestation,they look like black round beans hanging on roots.
If no nematodes found apply thick mulch under tree and a lot of limestone,and next year your trees will make fruits.
They are 2 years old and they made fruits the first year?
Your trees are exhausted,for producing fruits too young.
Well they took a brake this year,but the Limestone and mulch are needed any way.

o
RE: Non Producrive Fig Trees

You should not allowed the trees to produce fruit last year. I have some of my trees 2 years old and produced fruit this year but I thinned the fruit to let them grow and get bigger I never tried the lime stone. I think my soil is alkaline I had to add sulfur to increase its acidity for the blueberry plants. You can test your soil to determine the pH if it is 6 or over do nothing. If you grow blackberry, blur-berry or red-berry you have to get it down to 4

o
RE: Non Productive Fig Trees

Thanks for the advice. I shall try using some granular lime next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here