Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyler_la_gw

Tree-Fermented Figs

tyler_la
13 years ago

Today was a particularly bad day for the figs here, its already rained twice, and at least a few dozen pounds of them have split... But, on the other hand...

Today I ate my first Hardy Chicagos and an LSU Gold fig. Delicious! I'm more partial to this years Chicagos... Celeste has come in last this year, I'm afraid. Still anxiously waiting for Mission, Smith, Hunt, LSU Purple, O'Rourke, Tyger, Honey, Native Black, and a quite few others to ripen...

Now, the question I have: Has anyone ever attempted to eat a bug-free, fermented fig that is still on the tree? I found one today, and I didn't even realize it until I had it up to my nose (it wasn't wrinkled or deformed). I tasted it... and I am sorely, sorely tempted to make fig wine this year. (We make orange wine from the orchard here, and I'm assuming I could do it the same way, seeing how easily these figs fermented.)

Experiences with fermented figs or fig wine, anyone?

Thanks! And... I hope everyone's figs are coming along well!

- Tyler

Comments (8)

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Even with all the fig trees I have, I can't seem to keep any around from which to make fig wine. I just eat them fresh, every last one. Sorry to hear about the rain. It hasn't rained here in weeks. I asked how to make elderberry wine on the fruit and orchard forum, also on gardenweb and got a lot of good responses.

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Tyler, I've never tasted fig wine but I do know that it is made. I remember reading about someone winning first place with their fig wine at some sort of wine event. I've also seen it advertised before.

Yes the rain has been bad until this past week. The heat and dry have let my little Celeste give me some great figs. But I did notice a lot of them little sour beetles flying around the tree this morning. If we get another round of rain like last week I'm afraid the rest of the crop will sour.
    "gene"

• noss
    13 years ago

Gene, What do the little sour fruit beetles look like? What size are they?

I saw some little slim, black bugs on a couple of figs yesterday. I've found no bugs inside of the figs they were on.

I ate a sour fig this afternoon before I realized it was sour and it was horrible! It was sour, not fermented.

Vivian

• genecolin
    13 years ago

They are about the same color brown as a fig and as small as a small ant, kinda look like a miniature June bug. It easier to see them by looking up and seeing them against the sky or seeing them walking around on an overripe fig.
    "gene"

• chills71
    13 years ago

I've had tree-fermented kiwis before (quite good, btw) but the figs I have tend to get wiped out by birds, wife, kids whatever before they have a chance to ferment.

~Chills

• noss
    13 years ago

Gene,

The little beetle-looking bugs I saw were black and larger than ants. Are they actually called sour friut bugs? I'd like to look them up to see what they look like.

Thanks,

Vivian

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Vivian, I don't have any idea about their proper name. Perhaps someone else can chime in. Meanwhile I look around.
    "gene"

• bushkarogfa_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

A few days ago I picked figs from my mother's tree that were dripping with tree-fermented figs. They are magnificent. Now that I can identify the taste, I am even more anxious to learning how to make fig wine. I picked more today. I hope you have already started making figs into wine. I came across your notes and felt the need to reply. Maybe I am looking for a cheering section. I, also, have wanted to do this for a long time. Figs are almost out of season here. I am only getting a small amount out of my hard work in tree climbing. My mom has one tree that the whole community feeds on. No one regularly picked her figs until I moved back home two years ago. Now they all want a piece of the fruit. It is hard to share, but you know, neighborly expectations. After all, they really are good people.