Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Can Fig Tree Live in Zone 7

foolishpleasure
13 years ago

I live in Zone 7 and I just planted Brown Turky Fig Tree. It is 2 years old. The Orchard guy told me zones 7 to 10 are suitable for Fig trees. We have freezing weather in December and January. I wonder if this will work. How long does it take for 2 years old to produce Figs? Appreciate any help.

Comments (11)

• tyler_la
    13 years ago

You may want to cover it or hang Christmas lights in it during the coldest bits of winter... It may (probably) die back to the roots and then re-grow from those in the spring.

Figs that are not even a year old have produced fruit for me :)

• phalnellie
    13 years ago

I have a brown turkey. I live in North of Nashville zone 6, even though they say we have been changed to zone 7 due to warmer winters..cana't tell it by me. It's out in the open. I cover it will an old piece of carpet late fall just before snow until late spring. You may have some die back but it will come back in the spring and produce nicely. If you're zone 7, a brown turkey should do just fine. Haven't tried the Christmas light thing though. Will try to tell a picture to show you how nice it is producing this year. It's really producing. I should have a nice crop if the squirrels don't eat them all!

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Figs can certainly grow in zone 7 and 6. I grow over 200 varieties.
    Check out the fig care in cold climate.

Bass

• liz-2010
    13 years ago

I have grown many varieties in zone 7.I plant on the south side of the house and cover the base with 2 and a half feet of straw. NEVER had a problem

• nickyd83
    9 years ago

I grow 2 fig trees in Zone 7a without protection, been in the ground since the 90s, this year we had 3 poler vortexs for the first time, even though we didnt go down to 0 degrees, the wind chill may have damaged it, well see this spring/summer if it has survived.. fingers crossed

• Jill Jones
    9 years ago

We are also in zone 7 outside Atlanta and this year for the first time in over 17 years it appears our main fig trees may have bitten it this winter. I have new growth only at the base of two of the trees thus far and this time every other year I would have almost full leaves and pretty good sized figs. I don't know what to do? Cut them back all the way and hope the new growth takes over? This is depressing!! Some of the trees have likely been producing for over 30 years.

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

I'm in 7B and mine got killed to the ground too this winter - the roots are alive and they're starting to bud, but rough winter.

• shane11
    9 years ago

I live in zone 7 and grow celeste (Tennessee mountain), hardy chicago, and LSU gold with no problems. In most winters there is no dieback at all on these. This year is an exception where I experienced 3 degrees and an overall unusually cold winter. These varieties will be fine and recover. There are other varieties that will also do well in zone 7.

• ahgrower Horne
    9 years ago

Yeah, as I said in another fig forum, I am very sad that I will not have figs from my trees this year as well. This winter did a job on my figs as they produced well in the past 4 years. However, there is new growth at the bottom of all my brown turkey figs but I don't see anything happening on my celeste. I have had all these trees for over 4 years now. Figs are so easy to grow here in Georgia, but I guess I am going to have to add one more to my collection so I can eat off my own tree instead of going to the grocery store! So don't worry, your figs will do fine just make sure you cover them up should the winter come in fiercely next year!! Yet, I wonder (for all of us who got some winter kill on the upper portions of our fig trees) how long is it going to take before we get a harvest? 1 year, 2 years. I just wonder and I am so glad that the trees did survive though.

• figsin7b
    9 years ago

In zone 7B here and I am cutting everything down to the ground.
    That is about 25 figs some with 8" wood. What was not frozen to the ground has Ambrosia Beetle infestation.
    I once thought of figs as a hobby. Now I see them as a crop.
    I probably won't get anything this year and if the beetles are going to take over then I'll not grow figs anymore. I'm not in to spraying poison on the plants that grow my food, well, at least not in my yard. I'm aware its inevitable when buying food.
    I personally would not bother growing figs in any zone less than 7 and I know this beetle issue is worse in zones higher then 7 at least on the East Coast.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor