Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozenjoe

VDB Shriveled Up and Looks Dead

frozenjoe
13 years ago

Not sure what happened. The plant shriveled up and looked like this yesterday. Before that it was fine. Fertilized it and all my other plants the day before. The other plants look fine.

What could this be? Will the plant live?

Violette de Bordeaux:

VBD & Barnisotte & my unknown called "Jersey":

Joe

Comments (13)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

It could be any one of a number of things frozenjoe.

It could be that the small plant could not take the amount of fertilizer you gave it.

It could be over watered.

If the pot were in the sun the roots may have gotten too hot.

The fertilizer could have gotten on the leaves.

Whatever the problem was when a small plant like that looses its leaves its chances of pulling through are not good. I would give it about a 25% chance of making it if you baby it.

I would move it a place where it will get mostly shade. If you think you may have over fertilized it then flush the pot with enough water to wash the fertilizer out and then let all the water drain out the bottom. Don't put a saucer under it until water stops coming out the holes.

• frozenjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thisisme,

That's exactly what I did. I'll post how it turns out.

Joe

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,
    i posted on other forum as you know, but can see the picture of plant a little better here.
    You have very good chance of it being fine just takes some time now in full shade.
    That bud at 7 o'clock will eventually the one at 2 may come back from within. open when its the plants time. Keep the faith - been there.
    Martin

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Hmm! Another multiple forum posting...

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Hmm! Another multiple forum reader...

• frozenjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The reason for multiple forum posts is that there are some people who only post on this forum and I wanted to get their feedback too.

Joe

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Hmmm! I'm still protesting the other fig forum cliques. I for one, only read and post on the GW fig forum. The edit function does not exist on this forum and this forum administrator does not close her eyes to its abuse.

Dan

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

I for one like the edit function Lets you add content correct mistakes and add pictures to update your post. I have not seen any abuse. As far as multiple forum posts I agree with Joe not all are members of both forums like Dan and Al who both post some good info and feed back

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Edit feature would have came in handy: Back to topic of post I agree with others I think it will come back in time Good Luck and update to let us know what turns out.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

It should come back if left in the shade for awhile to recover. VDB is a very good fig and it would be a shame to lose it.

Dan

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

It will die if you do not change the soil immediatelly using soil,without any fertiliser,or manure.
    This is fertiliser burn,plant to small for the amount of fert.

• frozenjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Herman,

Thanks for the advice. Based on what you said I changed it into the only soil alternative I had: cheap Scotts Top Soil. Hopefully this works.

I repotted the plant from the smaller fertilizer burned black pot to the larger pot with top soil.

Joe

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

You are doing great,and your fig is still alive with roots damahged but not dead.
    Now Use the moisture meter(if you do not have,then get one,from Home Depot),and keep moisture on 5.
    And in shade just like it was advuiced by the other poster.
    Doing that your chances are now 60 percent or better you will save it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz