Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khourshed

need help with my fig tree - photos included

khourshed
11 years ago

my 3 yr old fig tree is not doing well I need some help.

it is very hot here (very) i do water it daily and water do drain well. I do apply fertilizers every 2 -3 wk. I did change the soil a year ago . Advise is needed

Comments (12)

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Move to a place with mid-day shade.

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i will move here hope it will solve here problem and to get better leaves.

Khourshed

• noss
    11 years ago

Hello,

What kind of fig tree is it? I hope moving the tree to a place where it can get some shade from the hottest sun of the day will help her.

What kind of soil do you have in the pot?

noss

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

You also need a larger pot.

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

Your tree looks like it is suffering from salt toxicity or fertilizer burn. the dead leaf tips are a symptom. What type of soil did you use? Are you following the directions on the fert?

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure what type of fig tree it is. I bought from near by nursery 3 yr ago.

This is the first time to produce 2 figs :-(
    I did change the soil exactly a year ago with Peat Moss.
    I have been fertilizing here every 3 week, she had a lot of very green leaf I thought to support here more with fertilizer.

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

Next time you water, go back to the fig and water it again with lots of water, this will remove any extra salt/fertilizer. Your potting mix may also be suffocating your trees roots because peat moss can deteriorate quickly and compact, if water sits on top of the soil for more than a few seconds it is draining poorly. And if you have not amended with dolomitic limestone then you should dissolve 1 T. in its water to add back Ca and Mg. It could be some micronutrient deficiency caused by low ph (no calcium) as well.
    Good luck/

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

By Fertilizing so often you made the soil too acidic.
    Apply powder limestone to sweeten the soil,and make sure you have plenty of drainage holes not only a couple.

• sparker59
    11 years ago

Is that pot you have it in concrete? Does it have drain holes? If not then I would place it in a pot that has holes.

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i did flush the soil, i.e fill it with almost a bucket of water and it did drain.

the pot is made of fiber and it got one big draining hole in the middle. I think it is difficult now to make more holes may be in the future when i change the soil or something

I did move it to a semi shaded place since all sites advise that fig does not tolerate strong Sun

BTW how frequent should i apply fertilizer for this type of plant ?

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

good news / bad news

good news :

bad news, i lost one fig so only one fig on board (very sad day for me ) Now I should wait for next year to have more figs !!!

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

What about lime? Very important when using peat moss.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus