Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with my fig tree - photos included

Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 20:34

my 3 yr old fig tree is not doing well I need some help.
it is very hot here (very) i do water it daily and water do drain well. I do apply fertilizers every 2 -3 wk. I did change the soil a year ago . Advise is needed

Untitled

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with my fig tree - photos included

Move to a place with mid-day shade.

o

i will move here hope it will solve here problem and to get better leaves.

Khourshed

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 0:01

Hello,

What kind of fig tree is it? I hope moving the tree to a place where it can get some shade from the hottest sun of the day will help her.

What kind of soil do you have in the pot?

noss

o

You also need a larger pot.

o

Your tree looks like it is suffering from salt toxicity or fertilizer burn. the dead leaf tips are a symptom. What type of soil did you use? Are you following the directions on the fert?

o

I am not sure what type of fig tree it is. I bought from near by nursery 3 yr ago.

This is the first time to produce 2 figs :-(
I did change the soil exactly a year ago with Peat Moss.
I have been fertilizing here every 3 week, she had a lot of very green leaf I thought to support here more with fertilizer.

o

Next time you water, go back to the fig and water it again with lots of water, this will remove any extra salt/fertilizer. Your potting mix may also be suffocating your trees roots because peat moss can deteriorate quickly and compact, if water sits on top of the soil for more than a few seconds it is draining poorly. And if you have not amended with dolomitic limestone then you should dissolve 1 T. in its water to add back Ca and Mg. It could be some micronutrient deficiency caused by low ph (no calcium) as well.
Good luck/

o

By Fertilizing so often you made the soil too acidic.
Apply powder limestone to sweeten the soil,and make sure you have plenty of drainage holes not only a couple.

o

Is that pot you have it in concrete? Does it have drain holes? If not then I would place it in a pot that has holes.

o

i did flush the soil, i.e fill it with almost a bucket of water and it did drain.

the pot is made of fiber and it got one big draining hole in the middle. I think it is difficult now to make more holes may be in the future when i change the soil or something

I did move it to a semi shaded place since all sites advise that fig does not tolerate strong Sun

BTW how frequent should i apply fertilizer for this type of plant ?

o

good news / bad news

good news :

Untitled

bad news, i lost one fig so only one fig on board (very sad day for me ) Now I should wait for next year to have more figs !!!

Untitled

Untitled

o

What about lime? Very important when using peat moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here