Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigo76443

fig tree at a public park

Rigo76443
10 years ago

found a fig tree at a public park where visitors can pick ripe figs. only picked a few compared to what was on the tree. i did get a few cuttings from tree. i talked with aborist who takes care of the park and he said it was a brown turkey fig. it has been there for over 20 years.
location of tree : hampton Virginia

Comments (17)

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    10 years ago

picture of the tree

• girlbug2
    10 years ago

Cool. There is a large, mature fig tree in an abandoned lot in my county. I believe it's a White Genoa (not really my favorite). The locals all pick from it in August every year, but I grow my own figs: still, it's nice to know that fig culture is getting out there.

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i wish more cities would plant edible landscaping so people could pick fruit for free and would cost the same to maintain as any other tree.

we are here visiting for summer break but at home in Texas i have over 20 different types of figs .

• radovan
    10 years ago

Rigo, very nice to hear about it although it's not brown turkey.
    Rigo, I wish I'm your neighbour and to help you eat your figs.

Greetings from Serbia

• stepandfetch
    10 years ago

^^^ Although most Southern BT figs are darker, I have picked quite a few brown turkey figs that were of that color.

• radovan
    10 years ago

the shape, size and colour do reflect another type of fig?

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi,

That is so cool to be able to pick fruit at a park!
    I wish for that but it is far too cold for the fig tree to
    grow where I live!

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i was on vacation in the area when i found it, i talked to the arborist about it and he gave me permission to pick a few to eat. i gone back twice and picked some to eat now. i took 6 cuttings and i went ahead and put 1 cutting in soil to see if i can get it to root before i go back to texas.

• User
    10 years ago

" Posted by Rigo76443 7B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 14:32

i wish more cities would plant edible landscaping so people could pick fruit for free and would cost the same to maintain as any other tree. "

Totally second this! Pears and plums would be nice too.

• cobb4861
    10 years ago

Our park just a few blocks from the house has several large fig tree's along with a few peach and plum tree's. I am sure the figs are Brown Turkey, but they are beautiful and produce a ton of figs. The neighborhood started in the 60's and I think that is when the parks were put in. So that might give a go by for the age of the trees. But in Houston they get HUGE!

• girlbug2
    10 years ago

I used to wish more cities would plant edible landscaping too, until I realized just how messy a tree can get if it's not tended and harvested religiously during ripening season. I have 3 peach trees which are several years old and have become very productive. The problem is the birds. They get to the ripe fruit before I can and peck holes in them, knock them off the branches and cause them to bruise and rot on the ground. Nobody wants to eat a bird-pecked piece of fruit nor pick them up after they've been on the ground and started to rot on the bottom. If I go two days without cleaning up the mess, it gets mushy and wet, starts to ferment, rot, and stink. You can smell this from the lot next door.

*If* the city would spray their fruit trees for pests, *if* they would employ extra people to clean up around the trees for what falls, and *if* they could figure out a system to keep birds away, then having fruit trees on public property would be a great idea. Otherwise, welcome to all the fun of walking on rotten fruit near the trees. No thanks.

• SeGeo
    10 years ago

Do you recall what city park this was found in? Looking to map historic trees in Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it was actually at the cheasepeake arboretum park in cheasepeake,VA

• rofig
    10 years ago

Radovan, are you from Serbia?
    Do you have any serbian fig varieties?

Please let me know if you have any cuttings for exchange.

• cro_smokva
    10 years ago

Radovan,
    I received your email today, but I could not reply to you via email.
    Please email me again via your email tool/client

regards

Damir

• sewnmom7
    10 years ago

Rigo, where are you from in Texas. I live in Abilene and am wondering what is the best figs to look for , for this area. i'm looking for cuttings here also and want to know when to take cuttings , how to root them out ,ya know , when , where and how...thanks for info.. await your reply....molly/ sewnmom7@yahoo.com

• Rigo76443
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i emailed you sewnmom7@yahoo.com