Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig tree at a public park

Posted by Rigo76443 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 20:35

found a fig tree at a public park where visitors can pick ripe figs. only picked a few compared to what was on the tree. i did get a few cuttings from tree. i talked with aborist who takes care of the park and he said it was a brown turkey fig. it has been there for over 20 years.
location of tree : hampton Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig tree at a public park

picture of the tree

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 10:49

Cool. There is a large, mature fig tree in an abandoned lot in my county. I believe it's a White Genoa (not really my favorite). The locals all pick from it in August every year, but I grow my own figs: still, it's nice to know that fig culture is getting out there.

o

i wish more cities would plant edible landscaping so people could pick fruit for free and would cost the same to maintain as any other tree.

we are here visiting for summer break but at home in Texas i have over 20 different types of figs .

o

Rigo, very nice to hear about it although it's not brown turkey.
Rigo, I wish I'm your neighbour and to help you eat your figs.

Greetings from Serbia

o

^^^ Although most Southern BT figs are darker, I have picked quite a few brown turkey figs that were of that color.

o

the shape, size and colour do reflect another type of fig?

o

Hi,

That is so cool to be able to pick fruit at a park!
I wish for that but it is far too cold for the fig tree to
grow where I live!

o

i was on vacation in the area when i found it, i talked to the arborist about it and he gave me permission to pick a few to eat. i gone back twice and picked some to eat now. i took 6 cuttings and i went ahead and put 1 cutting in soil to see if i can get it to root before i go back to texas.

o

" Posted by Rigo76443 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 14:32

i wish more cities would plant edible landscaping so people could pick fruit for free and would cost the same to maintain as any other tree. "

Totally second this! Pears and plums would be nice too.

o

Our park just a few blocks from the house has several large fig tree's along with a few peach and plum tree's. I am sure the figs are Brown Turkey, but they are beautiful and produce a ton of figs. The neighborhood started in the 60's and I think that is when the parks were put in. So that might give a go by for the age of the trees. But in Houston they get HUGE!

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 21:25

I used to wish more cities would plant edible landscaping too, until I realized just how messy a tree can get if it's not tended and harvested religiously during ripening season. I have 3 peach trees which are several years old and have become very productive. The problem is the birds. They get to the ripe fruit before I can and peck holes in them, knock them off the branches and cause them to bruise and rot on the ground. Nobody wants to eat a bird-pecked piece of fruit nor pick them up after they've been on the ground and started to rot on the bottom. If I go two days without cleaning up the mess, it gets mushy and wet, starts to ferment, rot, and stink. You can smell this from the lot next door.

*If* the city would spray their fruit trees for pests, *if* they would employ extra people to clean up around the trees for what falls, and *if* they could figure out a system to keep birds away, then having fruit trees on public property would be a great idea. Otherwise, welcome to all the fun of walking on rotten fruit near the trees. No thanks.

o

Do you recall what city park this was found in? Looking to map historic trees in Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

o

it was actually at the cheasepeake arboretum park in cheasepeake,VA

o

Radovan, are you from Serbia?
Do you have any serbian fig varieties?

Please let me know if you have any cuttings for exchange.

o

Radovan,
I received your email today, but I could not reply to you via email.
Please email me again via your email tool/client

regards

Damir

o

Rigo, where are you from in Texas. I live in Abilene and am wondering what is the best figs to look for , for this area. i'm looking for cuttings here also and want to know when to take cuttings , how to root them out ,ya know , when , where and how...thanks for info.. await your reply....molly/ sewnmom7@yahoo.com

o

i emailed you sewnmom7@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here